Jeep died while driving tonight

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Ok "hoping" someone might have a suggestion or direction to go with this.

We were driving to the store tonight, hit 40something mph and the engine cuts off. We are now coasting down the road towards a stop light, I have no power steering, brakes are hard to depress, but still have all electric in the cab so I throw the hazards on. I shut the Jeep off, and try to restart it, and it just cranks and never turns over. I repeat this a few times waiting a couple minutes in-between attempts.

Just then, another TJ rolls up next to me and the guy says, "you alright over there?", so I tell the guy it just won't turn over and we stalled while driving. So he pulls over in front of us and gets out, then one of his buddies tools up across the street, and seriously asks if he can check the fuel pressure, like they were familiar with things like this, and he says there is good pressure up there on top of the engine through this little valve. The friend also actually had a scan tool so he plugs it in, thanks the Jeep for having the spot to plug it in being so conveniently located, and says its not throwing up any codes at all. The check engine light has never came on, so he says to me that usually when theres no codes and the Jeep dies, "its something stupid" causing it.

I have no idea where to go with this info besides calling a friend or posting up here in the hopes someone might have an idea or if this has ever happened to anyone before.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

So after reading all associated threads last night, this seems to be a thing that happens...and have narrowed it down to needing a new fuel pump, needing a new crankshaft position sensor, and possibly needing new wiring for the crankshaft position sensor as they are in a hot zone and tend to touch surfaces that over years corrode and short out.

The Jeep started up fine this morning like nothing ever happened but that also seemed to be the usual for every other thread about this issue. This is a strange one.

Last edited:
No check engine lights or anything? I've never heard of such a thing before. Sheesh, hopefully mine doesn't do it!

Reactions: EJD and JP98
'A thing that happens'? I hope not! Especially not when Im on some dirt trail 100 miles away from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No check engine lights or anything? I've never heard of such a thing before. Sheesh, hopefully mine doesn't do it!
Yeah I hope this never happens to anyone!
There are no Check Engine lights or Codes to pull or anything...

'A thing that happens'? I hope not! Especially not when Im on some dirt trail 100 miles away from home.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah if you google Jeep died while driving like a good dozen threads pop up with the same story, so yeah this does seem to be something that happens unfortunately. I feel like it could be either or all of the 3 things i've listed above and there has been no real solid answer as to what the initial issue is.

Its not very fun.

Last edited:
Yeah, let us know if it happens again. I hope it doesn't happen to me, that's for sure.

I've never heard of it until now. Are there any reasons why this might happen? Like is it a faulty part or an electrical gremlin?

Reactions: EJD
Since the Jeeper who pulled over to help said there was good fuel pressure at the test valve port on top of the engine, it doesn't sound like a fuel pump problem.

I'd guess a bad crankshaft position sensor first, or maybe a bad camshaft position sensor next.

Before replacing either though, I would first unplug both sensors and reseat/reconnect them several times to make sure it's not just a bad connection at the sensor.

Reactions: JP98 and EJD
Yeah, let us know if it happens again. I hope it doesn't happen to me, that's for sure.

I've never heard of it until now. Are there any reasons why this might happen? Like is it a faulty part or an electrical gremlin?
This has already happened to me a handful of times, but this was the first time I was unable to just restart it after.

The culprits seem to be the fuel pump, the crankshaft position sensor, and the "wiring" for the cps corroding and shorting out (i'm not even sure where this wiring is).

Since the Jeeper who pulled over to help said there was good fuel pressure at the test valve port on top of the engine, it doesn't sound like a fuel pump problem.

I'd guess a bad crankshaft position sensor first, or maybe a bad camshaft position sensor next.
Jerry have you ever heard of the "wiring" associated with the CPS being in such a hot area that over time its corrodes and shorts out? That was something that i've heard in my long night of research last night.

And how doable is replacing that sensor and/or wiring myself?

Replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor is something anyone with tools can do. Its connector is low on the engine-side of the fire wall. The sensor itself is up high on the driver's side of the engine where the transmission bolts to the engine. Depending on your transmission type, it is held on with either one or two bolts.

The Camshaft Position Sensor is located on the passenger-side of the engine block, on top of the shaft that in previous model years held the distributor.

Replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor is something anyone with tools can do. Its connector is low on the engine-side of the fire wall. The sensor itself is up high on the driver's side of the engine where the transmission bolts to the engine. Depending on your transmission type, it is held on with either one or two bolts.

The Camshaft Position Sensor is located on the passenger-side of the engine block, on top of the shaft that in previous model years held the distributor.
I just read a little tutorial on replacing the CPS, but the pictures of locating everything are not good. Need good pics!

Did you note my description of the CPS location in post #12 above? You only need to run your hand way up along the driver's side of the seam where the transmission bolts to the engine to run into the CPS.

Google produced this... https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...i30k1j0i5i30k1j0i8i30k1j0i10i24k1.0IiMxqbBJKk
Yeah, I have an idea of where to start looking but this is uncharted territory for me.
Would you think it would be a good idea to remove the whole thing, inspect it, clean it, and reinstall it?
I have some of that electronic wiring harness cleaner.

Yeah, I have an idea of where to start looking but this is uncharted territory for me.
Would you think it would be a good idea to remove the whole thing, inspect it, clean it, and reinstall it?
I have some of that electronic wiring harness cleaner.
The only thing I would try is what I already suggested above, reseating the sensor's electrical connector a couple times to insure it is making a good connection. I also described the connector's location above. The sensor itself is sealed and encapsulated so it's not cleanable.

Does anyone happen to know what the "sensor/wiring connection" is just below the Crankshaft Position sensor's wiring harness on the passenger side of the engine? (I can post a pic if none knows what i'm referring to).

Mine is a bigger brass fitting just below, with a sensor inside it, and a slightly larger harness attached. Just curious as I seem to be having a latching issue with that harness (the red safety latch/lock) is broken off and does not sit flush. It could easily vibrate out of place, and can effortlessly be pulled out with nothing holding it in place against the sensor. I'm wondering IF that comes out of place and loses its connection, could that cause the random stall outs while driving...? Or the inability to start back up if its not connected.