Jeep front and rear end/suspension overhaul parts

Joseph

TJ Enthusiast
Hey all, Jeep is at the shop right now getting it’s last round of frame repairs. Granted my Jeep isn’t a total rotbox beyond repair, I’m looking to spend another $1000 or so including the cost of a good frame strip/POR15 coating.

I figured since the frame is being all fixed, I’d like to refresh some of the steering/front and rear end components. I could tell everything is all worn and squeaky and in need of replacement anyway. I’ve already got a pair of front upper and lower ball joints in my cart and (I think?) everything I need to do the ZJ tie rod upgrade.

Is there anything I should go ahead and change out in the rear?

As far as suspension goes, the Jeep won’t see anything crazy but I’d eventually like to take it to PA or NY sometime for some camping trips, so it might see light trails or unmaintained roads. Maybe 2.5” lift at most. I’d like something that’ll be soft on the frame but also nothing crazy. I’ve been looking at the OME but that’d take me a bit to save up for. I’m pretty positive I’m still running the oem parts for the most part on everything.

Thanks guys, look forward to hearing your recommendations as always.

F879C732-4FA4-4411-A07D-A0105C624609.png

So are you looking for a list of parts to rebuild the suspension or for what brand of parts to get?
When doing the ZJ upgrade replace both the tierod (ZJ) and the draglink (ZJ or TJ). Be sure to get all new parts as rust proof as possible first. Whether with primer and pain, powder coat, frame fluid, what ever you prefer. And be sure to grease the ends after installing. 👍

So are you looking for a list of parts to rebuild the suspension or for what brand of parts to get?
When doing the ZJ upgrade replace both the tierod (ZJ) and the draglink (ZJ or TJ). Be sure to get all new parts as rust proof as possible first. Whether with primer and pain, powder coat, frame fluid, what ever you prefer. And be sure to grease the ends after installing. 👍
Thanks, does that look like everything I’ll need to do the tie rod? I will check out a ZJ drag link.

Just to do the tie rod, that is all. If you want to go ahead and refresh everything, you can do a new drag link. Some have said the ZJ drag link doesn't have the right angle for the steering stabilizer but I can't comment on that. The XJ drag link is the same at TJ but cheaper, I can confirm the angles are all correct. Neither the XJ or ZJ are upgrades, just a refresh. (Moog DS1238).

Then you can use the ZJ TRE and adjustment sleeve on the drag link as well. So to summarize:
Drag link: DS1238 (x1)
Tie rod: DS1312 (x1)
TREs: ES3096L (x2)
Adjustment sleeves: ES2079S (x2)
Stabilizer: SC2928 (x1)

Goatman. I’m in the same boat as Joseph. ‘98 TJ. Old. Rusty. Daily driver that won’t see the trails, but need new suspension parts. Tie rods and ends, trackbar, etc.
looking for OEM or slight upgrade, no lift. Any suggestions on quality brands? The wallet isn’t ready for MOOG, but TRQ seems like crap.
I just did brakes, rotors, hubs. Ball joints are good.
Thanks. Just a typical suburban Jeep guy.