Jeep is always hot to the touch: is this normal?

Jay P

TJ Enthusiast
What’s up everyone. Pretty new here but I’m on my 4th Jeep build and 2nd TJ, this one is black and although it never overheats it is always pretty hot to the touch on the hood for a good while after running it no matter the temp outside here in SLC
So I want to ask if it’s pretty normal and if not what could I do to remedy it? Love this forum and glad I’ve found it. Big future plans and I’ll keep them posted. I’ve been really digging lowrangers Jeep which is the same year as ours but anyways what do you guys think?
48a11dbb893a5624d6d45c554355b0ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s up everyone.
So I want to ask if it’s pretty normal and if not what could I do to remedy it? what do you guys think? View attachment 26969

TJ do not have heat shields and so, it is always hot to the touch. That will not effect and/or damage anything under the hood. In due time the hood paint will peel/fade, but thats just cosmetic.

TJ do not have heat shields and so, it is always hot to the touch. That will not effect and/or damage anything under the hood. In due time the hood paint will peel/fade, but thats just cosmetic.

Good to know. Thank you

Yep, it's completely normal. Your temp should stay in the 210 range on the dash. Sometimes on really hot Summer days it may get up to around 220 though with the AC on. Again, it's normal!

It's also good that it's running at normal operating temperature in all weather too, that's what it's designed to do!

My LJ has insulation under the hood, or had it. First good H2O crossing....ooooopppppsssssss

X2 to the hood being hot in normal operation. Afterall there's a big 210 degree heater directly under it. And several exterior parts of the engine are even significantly hotter than 210. :)

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
X2 to the hood being hot in normal operation. Afterall there's a big 210 degree heater directly under it. And several exterior parts of the engine are even significantly hotter than 210. :)

Thanks, I’ve had people tell me to change the thermostat on it but I thought it might be normal and it’s also black so I figured all is well. You guys are great. I appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: glwood
Ignore those suggesting a lower temperature thermostat. The overall design of the engine, its emissions system, and the computer's programming depend on having a thermostat with the specified 195 degree rating. :)

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Ignore those suggesting a lower temperature thermostat. The overall design of the engine, its emissions system, and the computer's programming depend on having a thermostat with the specified 195 degree rating. :)

Thanks I’ll do that. I appreciate you all.