Jeep Jewelry

Flivver250

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
How many of the add-ons do we install that are purely Jeep jewelry? Today I installed a Warn steering box cover/skid plate. It looks clean and nice. The chances of me actually hitting anything with my steering box that hasn’t already nuked my whole Jeep front end are pretty slim. Not impossible, but surely improbable. Earlier in the week I installed a Spicer Dana 44 differential cover made out of ductile iron. Pretty as hell, very sturdy and perhaps even functional for additional heat dissipation and attaining proper gear oil levels. Yeah, keep telling myself that, it is whorish jewelry. Four KC spotlights up front, jewelry. I could go on and on. Some of the bolt-ons like oil pan skid plate and front differential guard could be functional if a rock is hiding in the sand when I go buck wild, so I won’t add them to the cosmetics list. Hell, I have pretty Jeep valve stem caps. Has the idle Corona virus hours turned my sled into a painted lady?

I view nothing on my Jeep as an attempt to "turn heads" or look good. Maybe the hardcore upgrade on my front bumper and the leds in my rear bumper were unnecessary, but that is about all I can think of. My steering box skid has a gouge from the only trip I've taken with it installed. Not too hard to hit that area if you are on the rocks.

There are plenty of people around Chicago with Jeeps purely meant to look good. If it makes them happy I'm all for it, but it isn't how I view my Jeep.

Last edited:
I installed a billet aluminum shifter knob purely for aesthetic reasons. My wheels are jewelry. I have a set of 5.9 Grand Cherokee hood louvers to install. Other than that, I don't really have many aesthetic only mods.

I think you are good, but its "your" Jeep either way. Who cares if it makes you happy.

I try to only add mods that enhance something tangible. Not looking for aesthetics at all, but those in the know will see what's there and appreciate it. I had a blinged out JKU guy call my Jeep "stock" lol. He was confused I could climb a steep off camber hill he had to winch up in my "stock" Jeep. Guess his grill and light bars didn't help much.

I have a no sticker rule. I don't like them. There is not a single sticker on my Rig outside of what came from the factory, and required stickers for registration.

I'm def guilty of going for aesthetics and function on my TJ... I like the black on blue look so have painted my grill, fender flares (came factory silver), smoked out all the lenses, black LED headlights and last weekend installed a completely useless black vinyl hood sticker that does next to nothing other than add black to my Jeep. But I love it.
(Also just picked up the Mopar hood deflector in black of course to further some function for stone chips but also another excuse to add black)

61604080527__748813A4-740B-4085-A923-EA1A9E5B17F9.JPG

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and mrjp
I'm an older guy. There I said it. But I have long since given up trying to make others like me or look at me. I prefer the 'blacked out' look on a vehicle. Anything flashy to make others turn their head will make a cop turn his/her head too. And I'm not interested in having Johnny Law look my way. When I was younger thins were different. A bit of flash was a good thing. But I can appreciate all the extra flashy bits on others vehicles. I actually look around when I'm in a parking lot for all the different ways people try to stand out. So go as flashy as you want. I'll keep an eye out for you. 🧐

while I have done some mods for function, my hood lettering & tire cover are purley there to make me smile, they also serve to draw attention to me, which I have found helps is Dallas traffic people notice you and are more likely to let you in, thats me pushing it a bit.

I left the shackles on mine purely due to lack of storage in the TJ. I have a roll bar trail bag stuffed w/ shit, don't need those clanking around too. I painted them gunmetal to match my wheels and not draw attention, I also put isolators on them so it doesn't sound like my Jeep is falling apart when I go over a bump.
I also have the stock shift knob ;)

My wife is like:" Are you planning something I might need to know about?"

IMG_0922.jpg

"No babe, we've just run out of places to store shit at the house, so I'm just putting it all on my Jeep." :LOL:

Last edited:
Who drives around with shackles on their bumper anyways? 🤣

The noise alone would drive me nuts.
I put shackles on the front bumper tow points last year after a trip that I thought I might need them on, and they're still there. They don't rattle a bit, & the chicks think I'm badass. By that I mean my wife (kinda) & my daughter (she likes them cuz they're red).