Jeep Leaking Coolant Everywhere

Stockish

Just replaced the valve cover gasket, pan gasket, and rms went for a test ride and came back to this. I’ve owned the Jeep for a couple of months and never had anti freeze under the Jeep, only oil. Now I don’t have any oil leaks but rather what I’d assume a blown head gasket. I took the radiator out and cleaned it and never had any issues except for when I drive it stays at or around 200. The coolant level has never dropped and it doesn’t smoke.
Any help or ideas?

Next step is a compression test and checking the spark plugs. After that, the head gasket.

DE6AC380-0AC1-4768-AEF7-3E017806B853.jpeg

4917D196-8B6E-4AF9-B295-525B7FDF9452.jpeg

B970E7B0-CF94-43A0-94A2-53A77FD29ADA.jpeg

70FFF678-061A-46FB-AC18-28EEB7DA921B.jpeg

580EB8DC-8C47-4BC5-A9B8-950E229768CC.jpeg

There's a freeze plug on the back of the block as well - if I recall it's covered by the bellhousing.

Edit: and behind the flexplate:

1594480405306.png

Can you get a mirror back there from under the hood and see anything?

Last edited:
I have a camera I can bend back there but I don’t feel any coolant. My transmission groans and will have to come out so the freeze plug is an easy fix for me. However coolant didn’t start leaking till the next morning and has progressively gotten worse throughout the day.

Make sure you don’t have a split heater hose spraying coolant in that area. Just a guess and trying to eliminate easier stuff first.

Reactions: qslim
Make sure you don’t have a split heater hose spraying coolant in that area. Just a guess and trying to eliminate easier stuff first.

Yeah that's a good call Tom.
OP you mentioned you did some with to it the other day, valve cover gasket etc? Go back over everything with a fine toothed comb given that you just had some stuff apart and were working on the engine.

The way it looks on the bellhousing it's probably that rear freeze plug. Do check all hoses. Put a good pressure tester on it and it'll show itself.

Found antifreeze leaking down the headers so freeze plug is out of the picture and I don’t see any coolant lines running down the driver side of the motor. The head gasket probably broke on the outside and is losing coolant after cooling down.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Just checked the Jeep and around a gallon of coolant has leaked out leaking a trail of the garage. When I took the pan out to get to the rms I had to unbolt the headers and I could’ve hit a line or something. If it were the head gasket it would’ve stopped leaking by know. What coolant lines are below the intake manifold or in that area?

Just checked the Jeep and around a gallon of coolant has leaked out leaking a trail of the garage. When I took the pan out to get to the rms I had to unbolt the headers and I could’ve hit a line or something. If it were the head gasket it would’ve stopped leaking by know. What coolant lines are below the intake manifold or in that area?
Maybe the water pump just finally decided to shit the bed.

I see where Jerry is going and I am wondering myself how the coolant is making it to the exhaust manifold, it would have to spray out of the head gasket to land there since the head gasket is below the exhaust outlets in the head. I would lean more towards the Tstat housing or water pump as Jerry suggested or a pin hole in a freeze plug that is behind the manifold..

Last edited:
It’s mainly pouring down the transmission bell housing, but not on the inside where the freeze plug is, around the top of it. At the same time coolant has made its way towards the front of the motor around piston #3 and #4s exhaust manifold.
Edit: it has been sitting for two days and still has a constant drip.

I think I found the leak, seems to be the water pump. Took the camera and checked the back of the motor and found nothing. The coolant is using the pan as a channel and funneling back to the flywheel and then dripping down the bell housing. I also found the balancer leaking oil so I get to kill two birds with one stone. Really hoping that this is going to be the easy fix I was hoping for. Crazy how far a leak can travel. The oil from the valve cover was what I saw on the exhaust manifold. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I found the leak, seems to be the water pump. Took the camera and checked the back of the motor and found nothing. The coolant is using the pan as a channel and funneling back to the flywheel and then dripping down the bell housing. I also found the balancer leaking oil so I get to kill two birds with one stone. Really hoping that this is going to be the easy fix I was hoping for. Crazy how far a leak can travel. The oil from the valve cover was what I saw on the exhaust manifold. Thanks for all the suggestions.

When you replace the water pump, be sure to get the mating surface on the block exceptionally clean. Wire brush and razor blade work well, but I ended up using a scuff pad for a rotary tool and it worked great. (I was replacing the thermostat too). I used no sealant on the gasket either, just torqued to proper specs.

IMG_9185.JPG