Jeep Liberty battery drain

WesRJ86

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a "how to" question, maybe I'm overthinking it. My wife has an 09 Liberty that has a parasitic battery drain. Every 2 weeks or so the battery dies. I have replaced the battery and alternator, also had them both tested twice. Also used a test light and pulled fuses to try to find it, no luck. We plan on getting a different vehicle in the next couple of months so I'm trying to avoid putting money into trying to track it down. I bought a solar powered 1.5w battery charger to keep the battery topped off but my question is do I need a voltage regulator between it and the battery to prevent overcharging. If so, is there one someone could reccomend? Sorry if this should be in a different thread. Thanks.

I can't answer your question, but when I had a Liberty I had an issue with it not starting and acting like the battery was dead. When I asked on FB group a lot of folks told me to check and clean my connections. This includes where the ground cable hooks to the frame. May not be your issue, but may be worth a look?

I have a "how to" question, maybe I'm overthinking it. My wife has an 09 Liberty that has a parasitic battery drain. Every 2 weeks or so the battery dies. I have replaced the battery and alternator, also had them both tested twice. Also used a test light and pulled fuses to try to find it, no luck. We plan on getting a different vehicle in the next couple of months so I'm trying to avoid putting money into trying to track it down. I bought a solar powered 1.5w battery charger to keep the battery topped off but my question is do I need a voltage regulator between it and the battery to prevent overcharging. If so, is there one someone could reccomend? Sorry if this should be in a different thread. Thanks.
You shouldn't need any kind of voltage regulator for the solar charger. I've been using them for a few years now on snowmobile, ATV, and automotive batteries and never had any issue with over charging.

In my experience, most of the time parasitic battery drains are caused by something aftermarket that was wired incorrectly (i.e. stereos).

Reactions: Daryl
Just wanted to give an update and share some info. I took it to a shop here after having no luck with my own attempts to diagnose. It turns out that the wiper motor for the rear windshield wiper shorted out and was staying hot, making a constant pull on the battery. Seems pretty crazy and random ha. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

Reactions: reddvltj