Jeep loses power when hot

DAgostino480

Just fixed my exhaust leak yesterday and now my jeep is slow. The exhaust leak came from the hanger by the transmission and was welded back on. Now the jeep feels slower then normal at first but once it gets hot (around 20 minutes of driving) it won't pass 30 mph. I think it might be the cats are clogged but no code yet. Any ideas?

Just fixed my exhaust leak yesterday and now my jeep is slow. The exhaust leak came from the hanger by the transmission and was welded back on. Now the jeep feels slower then normal at first but once it gets hot (around 20 minutes of driving) it won't pass 30 mph. I think it might be the cats are clogged but no code yet. Any ideas?
I think you are probably correct.

Reactions: mots
Yep, sounds like the culprit to me as well. Classic symptoms.

Everybody else is probably correct. You just welded by your O2 sensors and now your power is crap. Try unplugging the sensors and see what happens. If it fixes the problem it's not the cat, if it doesn't' it's like everybody says.

Reactions: Hound Dog
No check engine light but ran the code reader and got an emission leak large and small code and a p0740 torque converter code pending. Im going on vacation for a couple weeks so I will take a look at things when I get back. Seeing as the jeep runs decent when cold I don't think it will have anything to do with the torque convertor or trans itself. Emission leak is kinda weird though but I had a small leak code for a while after my fuel pump instal went bad breaking the nipple on top of the tank.

Okay so here is an update on my pos. I replaced all 4 O2 sensors and still had the issue. They were cheap and my jeep has 150k on the clock so I figured why not. Seeing as the jeep has a third cat that i didn't know about (right after the exhaust hanger where my leak was) I got to thinking. Maybe that cat is clogged and the excess pressure cause the hanger weld to fail. So I did what any "scientist" would do and I test my theory by straight pipe deleting the cat. I can do this because it isn't monitored by any sensors meaning it won't throw a cel. Wadda bing wade boom the issue is solved. The rear cat was clogged and you couldn't see through it. Now the jeep runs normal. Figured I would update you guys in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

1 demerit point.🤔 The official forum dictionary says 🤓"VAdda bing Vadda boom".
This will be noted in your permanent record.📖 Right next to that 3rd grade incident. 🤫 You know which one I'm talking about. 😀

Reactions: DAgostino480