Jeep reveals the Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid

il buono

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
2021-jeep-wrangler-4xe-115-1599068567.jpg

https://jalopnik.com/jeep-is-straight-up-calling-the-hybrid-wrangler-4xe-the-1844940398

Pronounced "four-by-e"
Not for me.
4 by E—"not for me". Nice poetry!

It's a Rubi. With a battery. A difficult conversion it would be. But this is turnkey, ready to sightsee. You'd be carefree and giddy. Whoopee!

But you say it's crappy. Shoddy. Wouldn't take it for free. No siree.

I agree. 4 by E? Not for me.

Is there a market for this? Does the off-road community that the wrangler appeals to want a more economic option with tons of electronics? I couldn't imagine what they are thinking about pricing this at...

Reactions: reddvltj
Apparently 30" of water fording. I don't have an issue here, at all. And it'll sell for sure, especially down here in FL where Jeeps are everywhere, they get $100/day on turro and aren't used for their intended purpose, mine included.

Would I buy one, no, but that doesn't mean this is actually a pretty impressive package.

Mainly the forced induction aspect. Somewhat weight of vehicle(big tires, additional weight) ect. Ultimately I would choose the 3.6. But honestly its not overly likely I would purchase either.

Yet another case of throwing expensive technology at a gas motor. What a waste. Show me a DIESEL electric hybrid, and you'll have something.

Yeah.... let's build 2 separate propulsion systems, each with a significant use of rare earth that requires significant environmental impact and electrical use to smelt a ton of ore into a pound of usable metal and call it an "advancement".

Mainly the forced induction aspect. Somewhat weight of vehicle(big tires, additional weight) ect. Ultimately I would choose the 3.6. But honestly its not overly likely I would purchase either.

I custom ordered a JLUR before the 2.0 would have been available. That said, forced induction has been proven to be more efficient, more power in smaller packages with a pretty damn good reliability record. They're not slapping turbos on an engine not designed for it, everything internally was designed to deal with the stress of forced induction. Now Im sure early on in the build cycle they may face issues every manufacturer does but one shouldn't be scared of it.

Reactions: Daryl and Sancho
I'm in the gimee, gimee camp. I think hybrid electric vehicles will be the future. Range concerns have kept me from a pure electric. I don't want to be out, running errands or commuting to work (26 miles one way) and run out of juice. I like the idea of having the gasoline (or diesel) engine as a backup. I travel to see family. That is a 500 mile trip. I don't want to have to stop half way to find a charger and recharge a battery.

I won't replace my TJ with this, but I think when its time for a new car for my wife, we may have to look into it.

I'm also a HUGE fan of forced induction. My wife drives a 2012 Audi with the 2.0 TFSI engine. 115000 miles and not a single hiccup out of that engine. Its STRONG and efficient. We can get nearly 30 mpg with it, still. I had an F150 with Ecoboost v6. Also a STRONG engine. The torque pulls it could do were amazing. I miss that engine, a lot. My Colorado, with the 3.6L V6 gasser has plenty of power, but its got such a narrow torque band the transmission is always shifting. Its not relaxing to drive...I feel like I'm working the truck all the time, even if I'm just driving to work.

Reactions: JMT
I'm a bit leery of turbochargers on gas engines - they work great on diesels, but gas engines already have too much heat. Not saying I wouldn't buy "the right one", but it'd have to vet it thoroughly. Electronics need not apply!

Reactions: Blondie70
What I might be interested in some day is a 4x4 with individual electric motors at each wheel. Think of the freedom you'd have to design the perfect suspension if it didn't also have to carry the drivetrain. Lockers, rear steer...all handled by electronics instead of hardware. No more broken u-joints. No more hanging diffs or driveshafts up on rocks.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
No me gusta!

They could always downsize the damn thing and make it into something the size of the old Samurai long and call it good. Obviously the E crowd would love to have something smaller and "cuter" to play with. This will also save them weight and make it more efficient. Maybe not 30" of water fording, but you get what I mean.

I used to have one of those Suzukis in the Caribbean and that thing went everywhere.

Reactions: HardSell