Jeep rides so much better after new tires

ScottyD

Never realized what a difference it would be.... got the 2000 TJ in 2012, and just replaced all four tires... and can’t believe how much better it rides and drives....

The wander on the road has stopped, the ride is so much smoother, feels like a new Jeep.....

I did replace the shocks with Ranchos a couple years ago... helped the ride a bit then

replaced the Nitto Terra Grapplers with about 30 k miles on them with four new Terra Grappler G2s....

What an improvement... Feels like a great investment....

Yep, new tires can sometimes have that effect.

Now make sure your psi is set correctly (around 26 psi) and you'll be even more shocked at how much better it rides ;)

My TJ came with E rated tires. When I got my new C rated ones it was a drastic improvement. Have never had tires do that to such an extent. Not even on my old CJs. After a hundred miles, when they soften up, it's even better 👍

It’s always nice putting new tires on. You never realize just how bad the previous ones were until they’re gone.

Kind of depends on what size tire he's running.
He’s either running a 31”, 32”, 33”, or 35”, I can almost guarantee it.

Having run all of those sizes, I’ve found 26 psi to be perfect across that entire range, and that included chalk tests. That’s why I recommend it so much.

Reactions: John Cooper
I've seen posts on here (by reputable people) that suggest 29-31 psi for 31" tires, and so on.

Very seldom does a blanket statement work for all situations.

• Face Palm
Reactions: L J
I experienced the same thing a couple weeks ago when I replaced the well worn BFG KO2s with Milestar Patagonias. The thing tracks straight and doesn't hunt from one rut to the other any more.
Did a little mud and snow over the Hangover run yesterday and it did great.

I'm hoping for the same impact---PO installed E rated Toyos that seem horribly stiff, even with ~28 psi. I've steadily improved the ride over the last year by installing Rancho RS5000X shocks and ditching the ZJ/LJ OME springs for TJ OME springs. Ride has improved, but bumps are still harsh. Planning to go with BFG AT in a C rating soon to hopefully dial it in...

Reactions: Jerry Bransford