Jeep security

Screenshot_20210601-220609.png

Jerry That's how my brother's 1976 F-250 high boy was stolen.
Witnesses saw it all happen and thought it had broken down and was being taken to the shop.
Thieves suck !
It's like walking into a place you're note supposed to be. A collard shirt and a clip board and no one bats an eye.

Here it’s a hi-viz waistcoat. Wear that (maybe with a clipboard or a hard hat) and you are basically invisible.

Wow I didn't know so many of you guys are such good thefts :ROFLMAO:

Mini 18" bolt cutters ($20 at Lowe's) and 10 seconds of their time will remove that I didn't think small bolt cutters would cut through cable that easily

A little liquid nitrogen and a small sledge hammer Guys carry Liquid Nitrogen

a battery operated Dremel with a small abrasive cutting wheel; :(

My thoughts were would this detour someone to move onto another vehicle.

And as Jerry stated they towed his away, what if you were to turn the wheels to one side then cable lock it. Then it would want to go in circles :ROFLMAO: Or I guess they would just drag no matter what
Having thought about it some more, I think your idea would slow the casual thief down, and probably deter. A committed thief, no. It is better than nothing for sure.

Wow I didn't know so many of you guys are such good thefts :ROFLMAO:

Mini 18" bolt cutters ($20 at Lowe's) and 10 seconds of their time will remove that I didn't think small bolt cutters would cut through cable that easily

A little liquid nitrogen and a small sledge hammer Guys carry Liquid Nitrogen

a battery operated Dremel with a small abrasive cutting wheel; :(

My thoughts were would this detour someone to move onto another vehicle.

And as Jerry stated they towed his away, what if you were to turn the wheels to one side then cable lock it. Then it would want to go in circles :ROFLMAO: Or I guess they would just drag no matter what

Yeah, unfortunately small bolt cutters will easily chew up and spit out that cable lock in seconds. It looks like just a beefier bike cable lock, right? Thieves do carry such tools to defeat these (ask me how I know - I really miss my old bike that was stolen in front of my apartment).

I think more importantly though, the lock itself appears to be just a simple Master lock. These locks can be picked without much trouble. Now, I know what most people think, "do people really pick locks? Not just everyone has the skill to pick open a lock" - but I happen to have a lockpick set and, when bored one day, decided to try my hand at lockpicking. With zero experience and just a few YouTube videos, I was picking open every lock in my apartment (it's actually quite fun, and it has come in handy a number of times when I've lost or left my key somewhere). Master locks are not difficult to pick, even for those with little to no experience and just a basic understanding of how locks work. In your picture, the lock is even facing upwards, making it even easier by being more accessible. I agree with others in that a kill switch would be best. Master locks are also known to not be difficult to brute force open with a hammer and a pry bar. The one in your picture looks like the housing might be made out of plastic - making it even easier to break open. But I don't think this lock is a bad idea - using the lock will probably deter some criminals who are just looking for an easy score. It could be best to use both, the lock and a kill switch.

On an unrelated note - if you find yourself with some time to kill, check out the LockPickingLawyer on YouTube. His videos are fantastic. Not only does he have a soothing sounding voice that just makes you want to keep watching, but he shows you how different locks work, and just how easy many are to pick open. It's very informational and interesting. The most noteworthy and concerning to me is how cheap and basic most gun related security locks are - which I can verify with a few cases I personally own. I can pick open a few of the cases I have with literally just a bobby pin or paperclip and nothing else. The LockPickingLawyer even picked open a wafer style lock with a folded over piece of tape, yes, really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition
Yeah, unfortunately small bolt cutters will easily chew up and spit out that cable lock in seconds. It looks like just a beefier bike cable lock, right? Thieves do carry such tools to defeat these (ask me how I know - I really miss my old bike that was stolen in front of my apartment).

I think more importantly though, the lock itself appears to be just a simple Master lock. These locks can be picked without much trouble. Now, I know what most people think, "do people really pick locks? Not just everyone has the skill to pick open a lock" - but I happen to have a lockpick set and, when bored one day, decided to try my hand at lockpicking. With zero experience and just a few YouTube videos, I was picking open every lock in my apartment (it's actually quite fun, and it has come in handy a number of times when I've lost or left my key somewhere). Master locks are not difficult to pick, even for those with little to no experience and just a basic understanding of how locks work. In your picture, the lock is even facing upwards, making it even easier by being more accessible. I agree with others in that a kill switch would be best. Master locks are also known to not be difficult to brute force open with a hammer and a pry bar. The one in your picture looks like the housing might be made out of plastic - making it even easier to break open. But I don't think this lock is a bad idea - using the lock will probably deter some criminals who are just looking for an easy score. It could be best to use both, the lock and a kill switch.

On an unrelated note - if you find yourself with some time to kill, check out the LockPickingLawyer on YouTube. His videos are fantastic. Not only does he have a soothing sounding voice that just makes you want to keep watching, but he shows you how different locks work, and just how easy many are to pick open. It's very informational and interesting. The most noteworthy and concerning to me is how cheap and basic most gun related security locks are - which I can verify with a few cases I personally own. I can pick open a few of the cases I have with literally just a bobby pin or paperclip and nothing else. The LockPickingLawyer even picked open a wafer style lock with a folded over piece of tape, yes, really.
Lockpicking lawyer is scarily impressive. Makes you question locking up anything with how useless locks are.

Reactions: mjbcomp
Lockpicking lawyer is scarily impressive. Makes you question locking up anything with how useless locks are.
Seriously! It's equally impressive as it is scary haha. It's good though, I appreciate knowing the limits of the most common locks, including the locks we use on house doors and such. It really is a bit of a false sense of security, but that just tells me I need more than just a lock on my front door, and that's a good thing to know before someone breaks in so I can (hopefully) eliminate that possibility. In short, I'd rather know so then I can do something about it. Ignorance is not bliss in this case lol. Plus, if you ever need to open a lock in an "unconventional" manner, that knowledge could be very useful.

Reactions: Apparition
Ah Ha !

See right here is why I don't care to make my vehicle's pretty.

Who wants to joyride in this ?
View attachment 256567
Yeah... you say that. My dad's '68 C-10 that a PO painted baby shit yellow, rusting through, etc (looking much worse than yours) was stolen from our driveway overnight 25 years ago. Found in a ditch 100 miles away a week later with the seat belts cut out. People be crazy.

It would be easy to cut or break the steering wheel. If your going to use the cable wrap it around one of the steering wheel posts. I would also paint it or get a bright colored cover. Make it highly visible so the A-hole moves on before they break your door lock. The TJ locks are so easily defeated that is the quickest way for a thief to get in. When I daily drove mine I went so far as to install electric locks, removed the cylinders and plugged them with chome bolts. It looked pretty good and I never had anyone mess with it again

Wait, yall lock yalls doors? Isn't that asking for the top to be cut?

Reactions: Michelobe
Yeah... you say that. My dad's '68 C-10 that a PO painted baby shit yellow, rusting through, etc (looking much worse than yours) was stolen from our driveway overnight 25 years ago. Found in a ditch 100 miles away a week later with the seat belts cut out. People be crazy.

Don't tell me that.
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 72afr
Hidden kill switches were installed on our CJ and that truck shortly after...

Dad got lucky tho. The truck had been having issues starting and running, so they ditched it after an episode. The next vehicle they stole didn't fair so well. Burned up and crashed into a creek, I believe.

Hidden kill switches were installed on our CJ and that truck shortly after...

Dad got lucky tho. The truck had been having issues starting and running, so they ditched it after an episode. The next vehicle they stole didn't fair so well. Burned up and crashed into a creek, I believe.

I feel better now. Just walked out to check on my vehicles in the driveway.

Wait, yall lock yalls doors? Isn't that asking for the top to be cut?
Believe me. It is easier to defeat the lock than cut a soft top. Any theif with basic knowledge can have the door open as quick as you can use a key. I'd explain in detail but don't want to post up instructions.

The old saying that goes “Locks keep honest people honest” says it all.

Do what you can to keep it secure and hope a real crook doesn’t get you in his sights.

And FWIW, I think a kill switch is a minimum must.