Jeep should reintroduce the TJ

My neighbor just came home last week with a 2024 Chevy 3500 High Country, $90,000 truck (They currently don't own anything to tow). I told my wife that I bet a 5th wheel camper shows up in the next 6 months. Last year they bought a 2023 Tahoe High Country, $75,000 vehicle. The year before that he picked up a used 2017 Unlimited Rubicon. No idea how much money they make but holy fuck it blows my mind.

Words of wisdom
Start with a budget and build list by cost
Dont just jump in blind, or reality bites and it hurts

Ive done a few but still havent found a definitive list for TJs and transmissions that work that are strong

TR-4050 if I keep manual is the way.

My neighbor just came home last week with a 2024 Chevy 3500 High Country, $90,000 truck (They currently don't own anything to tow). I told my wife that I bet a 5th wheel camper shows up in the next 6 months. Last year they bought a 2023 Tahoe High Country, $75,000 vehicle. The year before that he picked up a used 2017 Unlimited Rubicon. No idea how much money they make but holy fuck it blows my mind.
Best not to worry about others financial choices
Maybe a family member passed and left them $$$
This is most often the case where people make rash financial decisions and end up broke quickly in repossession dilemmas

I know a family that was broke as dick barely makin the rent, got left $600,000 and bought a $600,000 house then took 3 HELOCs out and are now going to lose the home within just 5 years

I make enough to go buy a new Z06 Corvette but here I am buyin a $3,000 TJ and rebuilding it for my 9 year old. I hate seeing money get thrown away

May I ask why??
Is it cheaper and easier or just brand loyalty?

Definitely want to keep a manual
Has anyone done a swap usimg this successfully I can be pointed to?? Love to read up on it

I know someone was swapping to one on here years ago but I think they were keeping the Jeep 4.0.

Best not to worry about others financial choices
Maybe a family member passed and left them $$$
This is most often the case where people make rash financial decisions and end up broke quickly in repossession dilemmas

I know a family that was broke as dick barely makin the rent, got left $600,000 and bought a $600,000 house then took 3 HELOCs out and are now going to lose the home within just 5 years

I make enough to go buy a new Z06 Corvette but here I am buyin a $3,000 TJ and rebuilding it for my 9 year old. I hate seeing money get thrown away

Someone once told me you can have anything you want, you just can't have everything you want.

You are right about not thinking about other people. We are the minority of people (probably because we're crazy and deal with 18+ year old vehicles for "fun").

Reactions: CreepinDeth
May I ask why??
Is it cheaper and easier or just brand loyalty?

Well, obviously the Hemi is way cooler…

😎

And I’m kidding of course. The Hemi guys (me) and the LS guys (pretty much Ryan) and the Magnum guys (pretty much Rick) enjoy razzing each other. And we generally do it at every opportunity.

Truth is, the Hemi is probably more expensive, with much less aftermarket support. Other than the ability to get the Hemi to work with the stock TJ gauges, either swap is likely a similar amount of work. The tuning would likely be a lot easier in the LS. My tuning was a challenge.

If I were to do it over again, I would likely do an LS (There, I said it…🙄).

This will be one of my next projects. Does anyone have an inventory on sizes and lengths of the loom needed?

I bought:

20' of 1"
20' of 1/2"
20' of 3/8"

I have plenty left over, but the purchase options were in terms of 10', and I did need more than that. So, more than 10' of each and less than 20' of each, though I did not replace every single section, but I did replace most of it.

Reactions: Shank
I bought:

20' of 1"
20' of 1/2"
20' of 3/8"

I have plenty left over, but the purchase options were in terms of 10', and I did need more than that. So, more than 10' of each and less than 20' of each, though I did not replace every single section, but I did replace most of it.

Any recommendation on what is quality stuff?

Any recommendation on what is quality stuff?

I searched for automotive loom. I ended up getting loom that could withstand temps up to 245*F. I used the split case plastic loom, though others like the fabric loom.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TDBF299?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TWB5MKD?tag=wranglerorg-20

Also, you'll need about 4 rolls of Harness Tape that is Flame Retardant and Heat Resistant. Don't use electrical tape. That would be a nightmare.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHQRXS5?tag=wranglerorg-20

Well, obviously the Hemi is way cooler…

😎

And I’m kidding of course. The Hemi guys (me) and the LS guys (pretty much Ryan) and the Magnum guys (pretty much Rick) enjoy razzing each other. And we generally do it at every opportunity.

Truth is, the Hemi is probably more expensive, with much less aftermarket support. Other than the ability to get the Hemi to work with the stock TJ gauges, either swap is likely a similar amount of work. The tuning would likely be a lot easier in the LS. My tuning was a challenge.

If I were to do it over again, I would likely do an LS (There, I said it…🙄).

There may be a bit of cool factor with the Hemi

If I were going to do a V8 swap, I would go with a SBC and a TH350 or 700R4.

Its one of the easiest and least expensive swaps out there.

If I were going to do a V8 swap, I would go with a SBC and a TH350 or 700R4.

Its one of the easiest and least expensive swaps out there.

I have a home custom built 800ft lbs capable 2004R sittin in my garage ever since I put an LSx/T56 in my Olds 442

One day I will find a use for it. It was a great project and learning experience, so its hard to just let it go

I have no idea the length of a V8 plus GM trans being able to fit the transfer case and all linkage tho

$1000 wheels, $1900 Hardtop, $2300 premium audio, $1400 cold weather group.

It adds up fast.

For a 52k MSRP, this Jeep doesn't have the safety group. No blind spot or cross traffic.

Blind spot group is actually very reasonable .

Ampper-Blind-Spot-Mirror-1024x933.jpg

The JL does a very poor job as an SUV. There are far better choices in an SUV for less money.

Offroad capability? There are no gear choices. 3.45 is what you get.

I never missed all the creature comforts in a gen1 Bronco, CJ or Scout. I prefer a base vehicle offroad.

How many people want to take a 50k + vehicle offroad and beat it up? Not many.

I had high hopes the new Bronco would be offered in a base no-frills option.

I got a choice if 4.56 or 4.88 on mine…