Jeep suddenly died

bromel

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hi everyone, hope you are all safe during the craziness. 2000 Wrangler Sahara 4.0. I was driving down the road when the Jeep suddenly died. Pulled over, cranked, no start. No fuel pump priming noise when ignition engaged. Heard a clicking sound coming from dash even with ignition off, sounded like a turn signal but it was different. Got out of the car and gave the fuel tank a few kicks, Jeep started right up. Drove 50 feet and it cut again. More clicks from the dash. Gave the tank another kick, and this time I managed to get home fine.

My immediate thought is the fuel pump, but that clicking noise sounds like something electrical is funky. Bad ground? The PO installed an aftermarket alarm 20 years ago, which has not been used in god knows how many years. I also have the sentry key system. I don't know if kicking the tank actually solved the problem, or if it simply was the elapsed time between starts that solved the problem.

Camshaft position sensor and camshaft synchronizer was changed about a month ago for an unrelated issue (bad bushing making a screeching noise).

Any thoughts?

Mine did the same back in November, still haven’t got it fixed! After replacing the camshaft position sensor, then the coil rail, and finally the crankshaft position sensor, the engine finally started and will run at idle but as soon as I put a load on the engine it dies and throws 2 codes, P1391 and P0361 (Ignition coil). I’m baffled!

ASD is an interesting one. I will try that. Problem is that it's starting and running perfectly fine now. I'm still inclined to think fuel pump because kicking the gas tank seemed to fix the problem, but the clicking noise makes me think the problem is electrical.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Just to complete this thread, I replaced the crankshaft sensor and removed the aftermarket alarm. No problems since. Fingers crossed that kicking the gas tank was merely a coincidence, and that the fuel pump is fine.

Reactions: Daryl
We had something similar. Would die at stop light or while driving. If we let sit for 10 -15 minutes, then it would start back up. Last time was in oncoming traffic. Had the Crankshaft Position Sensor replaced, Throttle body cleaned . No issues since. That was 5 months ago Never threw error code.