Jeep TJ 04 - What part is this? & Dash Brake light is flickering

StarterKit

Hello,

I have enclosed an image. Every time I pull that wire out (half way) and put it back in, the issue goes away for a little while, sometimes even days without coming back. I have NO idea what this part is, I hope maybe I can replace it on my own & I wanted to know if this is a serious problem.. although it feels like a sensor issue to me. Any advice? THX!

I have been experiencing issues with my brake light on the dashboard flickering and staying on and going away, randomly whether it takes 15 minutes of driving, driving it the next day, or driving it for 3 days (to work/from) before the issue returns. Everything feels the same as far as the breaks go. Nothing is stalling or locking in. Recently I had both breaks replaced by a technician and ever since then, a few weeks down the line the issue had occurred. I wanted to ask the community before I bring it to the shop and empty out my pockets to fix this.

1696406256710.png

Not sure I’ll get the nomenclature names correct, but that is a sensor that tells you your master cylinder shuttle is centered and working properly. If it’s not centered correctly that is telling you that you have air in your brake lines, or a leak in your lines and you need to check them.
Cannot tell in your picture,but is the reservoir correctly filled?
Do you have any leaks at your drums or calipers?
Are your brakes spongy or firm?
Kinda sounds like your shop may not have bled your brakes correctly or you have a leak.

Not sure I’ll get the nomenclature names correct, but that is a sensor that tells you your master cylinder shuttle is centered and working properly. If it’s not centered correctly that is telling you that you have air in your brake lines, or a leak in your lines and you need to check them.
Cannot tell in your picture,but is the reservoir correctly filled?
Do you have any leaks at your drums or calipers?
Are your brakes spongy or firm?
Kinda sounds like your shop may not have bled your brakes correctly or you have a leak.

Hi TJ Jim,

Yeah the reservoir is filled, it hasn't changed capacity at all. matter of fact, I even added a small amount of the dot 3 I think it was, whatever was the label on the cover, to test it. I had rear breaks replaced like a year ago and no issue there. Front breaks, I had a caliper stuck while driving one day and the thing looked like a meteor.. brought it to the shop and he replaced everything in the front. I don't see any leaks. Breaks are spongy I suppose. Pedal goes down smoothly, it makes that swooosh sound. I don't see "bled breaks" on my paperwork at the last job done. Mechanic seems like a genuine dude. What sort of trouble am I in if I have a leak? Can I crash while driving it to the shop for 20 minutes on the road?

P.S the breaks work exactly the same, everything works good, I'm not noticing anything different while driving and breaking.

I guess I’d lean towards air in the brake lines if you’re seeing no leaks. Worse case scenario is your master cylinder is on its way out. I do my own mechanical work so is it safe driving it? It’s a gamble driving it twenty minutes in traffic……… if it were mine I’d repair it in the driveway. Cannot say if it’s safe to drive it, but it sounds like you’re driving it now with no problems.
If you pump them does the pedal get harder or stop higher up?

I guess I’d lean towards air in the brake lines if you’re seeing no leaks. Worse case scenario is your master cylinder is on its way out. I do my own mechanical work so is it safe driving it? It’s a gamble driving it twenty minutes in traffic……… if it were mine I’d repair it in the driveway. Cannot say if it’s safe to drive it, but it sounds like you’re driving it now with no problems.
If you pump them does the pedal get harder or stop higher up?

TJ Jim,

Just went for a drive. When I pump breaks, like 20-30 times, in 1-2-1-2-1-2 rhythm, the pedal goes down fine, its not necessarily getting harder either, but maybe tighter if that makes sense? But barely really. What does that mean? Also, would bleeding the brakes get rid of the air and fix the issue or there's more to it? Thx for your help!

Hello,

Every time I pull that wire out (half way) and put it back in, the issue goes away for a little while,

That wire and plug should connect to the sensor/switch securely.
Not sure what you are 'pulling half way out', but I would look for frayed wires, dirty contacts, and/or a broken plug connector causing your intermittent problem.