Jeep TJ 50" LED Bar Installation

Kris11

TJ Enthusiast
Hey Guys,

So I just got my 50" LED bar a couple days ago. I wanted to do a little write up on how I installed it and where I got everything from. I will post all the links to where I bought everything at the end...

Step 1) First off I ordered the bracket from eBay. Since I have windshield mounted spot lights I choose this one because of the mounts at the bottom of the windshield. Here is a picture of the one I bought:

s-l1600.jpg

Step 2) I had to take off my old windshield brackets and replace them with the new one. It was pretty simple to install the new 50" mount as it was just unbolt my old ones and bolt the new ones on with the supplied screws. Here is a picture of my old mounts:

IMG_0087.JPG

Step 3) After I re-mounted my spot lights all I had to do was order the LED bar. I originally ordered a 52" LED bar but after receiving it and trying to install it, it would not fit so please beware that this mount only fits a 50" bar. Here is a picture of the 50" LED bar I bought. It came with the brackets and bolts too:

IMG_0254.JPG

Step 4) So once I got my 50" LED bar I went ahead and ATTEMPTED to mount it. The first problem I encountered was that the supplied bolts were too short. I had to do a quick run to Lowe's to pick up 2 replacement bolts. I cant remember the size but I found them relatively quickly and they fit perfectly. I bought them around an inch bigger than the supplied ones and that seemed to do the trick. BE SURE TO PUT SOME OF THE BLACK TRIM ON THE FINS OF THE LIGHT BAR BEFORE YOU TIGHTEN EVERYTHING UP. If you don't you will be welcomed with a high pitched whistling sound. ITS BAD!

Light Bar ridges 1.jpg

Step 5) Once I got it mounted and when I was happy with the way it looked I moved onto the finial step… wiring it all up. When I ordered the LED bar I also made sure to order a relay from eBay aswell. Since my LED bar is a 288W and 30A I went ahead and found a relay on eBay for around $15. The relay I bought was good for 300W and 40A so it won't complain. Here is a picture of how I wired it up:

image.jpg

Step 6) Just wire up the switch and your good to go! I wired mine up to my middle switch and it works perfectly. You could use the supplied switch but I didn't like the way it looked and I also had a free spot on my switch board:

IMG_0208.JPG

Here is a finial shot of what my Jeep looks like now with a 50" LED bar:

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

image.jpg

Man is this thing bright! I went up to my cottage after installing it and it just throws light everywhere, my windshield spot lights and my fog lights didn't do anything anymore! It was well worth the investment and this whole project ran me just around $300! Talk about a cheap way to add alot of light and good looks to boot. I really like the way it turned out and it makes the Jeep look really nice. It was really easy to install and anyone could do it! Let me know what you guys think! If you need any help or have any questions feel free to ask away :)

50" LED Bar:
http://r.ebay.com/9Ub5Ab

Bracket:
http://r.ebay.com/E23vl2

Relay:
http://r.ebay.com/UVzYyC

Switch Panel:
http://r.ebay.com/Gh3DOo

Trim:
http://r.ebay.com/PeK9yP

Hope this helps some of you,
- Kris

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Is there a blue print on those mounts to be found? I don't want to pay much and I have a buddy that could fabricate it if I had the measurements.

1998 Jeep TJ sport
Named- The Black Banshee

Reactions: Kris11
Reactions: Kris11 and Ron505
@Ron505 Nope no glare at all. It might be because I have the hood blackout.

@Chris ya thats a cool looking switch. But I have plans for my last spot. I have a fog light switch in one of my spares and the other one I'm getting a rear cam one so when I want I can turn on the rear camera. When I install it. Its sitting in the garage waiting until the summer.

@black_bansheetj I couldn't find any sorry. If I would of known you wanted some I could of measured them before I installed them.

Reactions: Chris
Are there any tutorials on the wiring aspect of it? My fog lights come in tomorrow and I could use some help since it's the same harness I'll be using for my eventual lightbar as well.

Reactions: Kris11 and bostontj
Are there any tutorials on the wiring aspect of it? My fog lights come in tomorrow and I could use some help since it's the same harness I'll be using for my eventual lightbar as well.

So the lights usually come with a wiring diagram. Its pretty simple. If its a good pair of fogs it will come with a relay. You want to make sure you have a relay so that you don't put all the current through the switch and burn it out. Also they the wiring is cleaner with a relay. Basically you want to connect the relay to your battery then from the relay to your lights. You will need a trigger power source so lets say from your switch. And you want to make sure that the switch is only powered when the car is on so you would have to tap into one of your fuses. You can grab a fuse tap almost anywhere. Or you could wire it directly to the battery. I don't suggest doing that because you could accidentally leave them on and it will kill your battery. But here is a little sketch I made quickly to hopefully help you out.

image.jpg

It seems to be pretty good! No moisture or anything. Ive had it for a couple months now and no moisture or dead LES's or anything like that. It seems to be pretty good for $150 and ill keep you updated if anything happens to it but as of right now its 100% perfect.

I have the same, PO put it on, now that I have added a hard top it leaks from where the wires run into the cab, do you have this issue? is so how did you fix it?