moe2100

Hey Everyone,

I've been frequenting this forum for a while now and have found all the information I need for all my jeep related issues but recently I have encountered an issue that I could not locate on the forum, I would like to apologize in advance for this lengthy post and if I am formatting or using the incorrect thread. I have had a 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0 with 150,000 miles for a little over a year now and my coolant had been disappearing for a while but I would refill it and had no issues but then my temp. gauge started reading low temps or not working so I went ahead and replaced my thermostat and all was swell for about two days. Next, I noticed this squealing sound and then the next day my power steering went out while I was driving and some white smoke from the engine bay emerged so I carefully drove it home parked it and noticed a substantial oil leak. I then started up my car again and noticed that oil was flying off my serpentine belt and that my dipstick showed that my oil was incredibly low. I am completely lost as to what this could be and have no idea where to begin and if this is a head gasket or rear main seal or any other sort of issue. If anyone could lead me in the right direction to diagnose this issue I would sincerely appreciate it!

Thank You

Are you sure it was engine oil and not power steering fluid as you mentioned that your power steering went out, and the smoke might have been power steering fluid on the hot exhaust manifold. As far as the coolant disappearing and low oil level those might be separate issues.

I came across this same issue on my 2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ. When my son drove it this evening, he noticed some white smoke from the engine bay and steering wheel got harder on him. There was quite a bit of fluid leak in the engine compartment and was dripping on the floor (via the front differential). The fluid was like red in color, but there was also loss of coolant. Any ideas?

The red fluid is power steering fluid, hence why the steering was harder to steer. Refill it, crank it up and see where the leak is. The power steering fluid will burn white when on the exhaust manifold. The coolant loss is probably separate but do the same top if off and look for a leak (it might just be low)

Two separate issues altogether.

1582681897704.png

1. Power steering pump system assembly

1582681959780.png

2. Cooling system assembly

The red fluid is power steering fluid, hence why the steering was harder to steer. Refill it, crank it up and see where the leak is. The power steering fluid will burn white when on the exhaust manifold. The coolant loss is probably separate but do the same top if off and look for a leak (it might just be low)

Thanks. I also noticed some kind of rattling noise coming from the engine which was relatively less loud before the power steering leak, but it seems to be a lot more louder now.

I will give it a try this weekend and let to you how it goes. I will not be driving it until I get it fixed. Hopefully a simple fix.

First access your own ability to diagnose and repair. Clean the engine bay, check all of the fluids and start going over every inch of the engine. Whether it is coolant, oil or hydraulic fluid, leaks are easy enough to find in most cases. You may be leaking in multiple areas. Invite a mechanically inclined friend/neighbor over to assist. While there is a ton of wisdom here on the forum, none of us are in your garage and our ability to advise is limited to your ability to describe.

I had this same issue. The noise was my power steering pump-it had failed. This was not the actual problem, but a symptom of the real problem, which is that my steering box had developed a serious leak and the fluid had gotten low enough to cause the pump to fail. I replaced the pump, replaced the hoses, and had the steering box rebuilt. I also have always suffered a loss of coolant, as long as i have owned this thing (since '98). I have never been able to isolate the leak, so I ensure to check the level on a regular basis and top it up as required.

How often do you act8check the oil level? It could be the engine has been burning a bit for a while and you never noticed. A bad head gasket can allow both oil and coolant to be burned with no other indicators other than fluid levels and exaust smoke/steam. But as everyone else said the power steering seems to be your current main issue. Toss the belt when you get the p.s. system fixed. Once oil soaked it will never be the same. Store it for an emergency spare. Pull the spark plugs to see if they indicate any oil or coolant being burned.

Hello All, It has been sometime since I originally posted my TJ's power steering pump failure w/leak and noise, but I just wanted to update you all on this issue. Yesterday, I installed a new PS pump, a new pulley, and a new serpentine belt. My jeep is running well now with no issues with power steering. No more struggling with the steering. Thank you all for your invaluable advice.

Reactions: John Scoggins