Jeep wanders all over the road

Ok, here’s more :

That Jeep isn’t tracking is what you are describing.

That looks like a rough country track bar , I have one and the bushings are junk..,you need to knock them out and get replacements at o Reilly’s , under 20 bucks each. The rough country bushings have way too much flex .

Next dry test it for anything loose, even minutely. Lay under it and have someone rock the wheel , anything that moves NEEDS TO BE EQUALLY MOVING WHAT ITS ATTACHED TO. This is true up to the track bar , it’s job is to maintain axle center in motion and should not visibly move much at its mount points .

Caster is likely out , you need 6 + degrees , you can check in your yard with a Swanson magnetic angle finder . Printout will show.

Get your tire pressure down to 26 psi, yours look high .

Now raise the hood and pull the coolant jug and check the steering shaft u joints for slop..trust me, this can cause you grief.

Now stand back and see if the axles are aligned and centered , and see if the right tire to tire distance is the same as the left.

TJ’s are very simple in steering design , but they have a small wheelbase , horrible aerodynamics,,usually oversized tires , are relatively light , and will quickly tell you if they think they have been touched inappropriately.

They aren’t hard to get right , just easy to mess up.

Thanks, I’ll look into all those. Do you happen to have the p/n for the new bushings for the track bar?

With the new control arms it is possible that they didnt square the axle to the frame. If that is off then everything else will want to track off. Adjustments can be made to counteract this, but having the axles square to the frame and each other will help everything else involved.

Reactions: AndyG
Thanks, I’ll look into all those. Do you happen to have the p/n for the new bushings for the track bar?
I don't but it's sold over the counter ... just order a stock replacement bushing and it will fit the rough country bar and you can press them in with a vise , they aren't as tight a fit into the track as things like ball joints are into the yoke.

Sorry I missed this question I've been under the weather. Had e coli ,flu and food poisoning all at once.

Also what are the alignment specs I should be at with the lift I have?
1/8 " toe in

6 degree caster

Camber is factory set generally speaking

Remember when the rig has been lifted the potential to have all the geometry of the axle relationships to each other off is possible.

I took the Jeep back and these are the measurements arhat they gave me I haven’t drove it yet so I’ll keep y’all updated on if they fixed the issue. Thanks again for everyone’s input!

Hello fellas, I’m new to the forum I just picked up this Jeep and did some work to it, a 2.5” rough country lift, rough country upper and lower adjustable control arms, 1” tcase drop, New moog steering components new upper and lower ball joints and I had it aligned. The Jeep wanders if the road is slanted it will go left or right depending on the road and the slant in the road isn’t that noticeable. I just replaced the last part which is the steering stabilizer and it didn’t help so I’m going crazy on what might be causing the issue. I appreciate any help or if there is a forum that is already created that I may have over looked in my search for the cure of my issue. Thanks View attachment 103756View attachment 103757View attachment 103758
maybe an alignment? I have a similar issue with really bad bump steer, im ordering some new tie rod parts and im told that should help my situation

I think your better off removing that trackbar and installing a reputable one.

Ok, here’s more :

That Jeep isn’t tracking is what you are describing.

That looks like a rough country track bar , I have one and the bushings are junk..,you need to knock them out and get replacements at o Reilly’s , under 20 bucks each. The rough country bushings have way too much flex .

Next dry test it for anything loose, even minutely. Lay under it and have someone rock the wheel , anything that moves NEEDS TO BE EQUALLY MOVING WHAT ITS ATTACHED TO. This is true up to the track bar , it’s job is to maintain axle center in motion and should not visibly move much at its mount points .

Caster is likely out , you need 6 + degrees , you can check in your yard with a Swanson magnetic angle finder . Printout will show.

Get your tire pressure down to 26 psi, yours look high .

Now raise the hood and pull the coolant jug and check the steering shaft u joints for slop..trust me, this can cause you grief.

Now stand back and see if the axles are aligned and centered , and see if the right tire to tire distance is the same as the left.

TJ’s are very simple in steering design , but they have a small wheelbase , horrible aerodynamics,,usually oversized tires , are relatively light , and will quickly tell you if they think they have been touched inappropriately.

They aren’t hard to get right , just easy to mess up.
Is there a way to measure wether your axles are center? Or is just something the trained eye can see?

Is there a way to measure wether your axles are center? Or is just something the trained eye can see?
You can definitely measure that... Use the frame as a reference point.

I'm sure there are a number of ways to do it but I would come off the frame rails and come outside of the Jeep an even amount and you something like a two by four from that point front and back and then measure over to the wheels.

It's very important that they're centered and really really take a close look at your sway bar links too...I just took some off of mine and put on some by jks and it is an entirely different vehicle... It really calmed it down.

Another thing that leads to misdiagnosed comnections is the fact that guys try to grab things by their hand and move it and if it doesn't move they assume it's tight... The force generated when the vehicle is in motion and being steered and responding to bumps is far far more than you can put on things with your hand....for example of got recently couldn't find any movement in his trap bar and you cannot test the track bar with your hands you have to turn the steering wheel and watch the ends of the trap bar and let the weight of the Jeep push back and then you'll know real fast if you've got a problem.

I'm sure there are a number of ways to do it but I would come off the frame rails and come outside of the Jeep an even amount and you something like a two by four from that point front and back and then measure over to the wheels.

It's very important that they're centered and really really take a close look at your sway bar links too...I just took some off of mine and put on some by jks and it is an entirely different vehicle... It really calmed it down.

Another thing that leads to misdiagnosed comnections is the fact that guys try to grab things by their hand and move it and if it doesn't move they assume it's tight... The force generated when the vehicle is in motion and being steered and responding to bumps is far far more than you can put on things with your hand....for example of got recently couldn't find any movement in his trap bar and you cannot test the track bar with your hands you have to turn the steering wheel and watch the ends of the trap bar and let the weight of the Jeep push back and then you'll know real fast if you've got a problem.
Alright cool I’ll give it a try, I have a laundry list of parts I’ve been putting on, trying to track down all the bugs, I have a similar post about ‘steering wander’ this thing was a mess when I bought it, it’s getting there, think I’m gonna do new trac bars now. Still contemplating on the rear adjustable control arms . I will be towing the jeep trailer I’m building. ‘RTT’
So I want to make sure everything’s in tip top shape..🤯

Alright cool I’ll give it a try, I have a laundry list of parts I’ve been putting on, trying to track down all the bugs, I have a similar post about ‘steering wander’ this thing was a mess when I bought it, it’s getting there, think I’m gonna do new trac bars now. Still contemplating on the rear adjustable control arms . I will be towing the jeep trailer I’m building. ‘RTT’
So I want to make sure everything’s in tip top shape..🤯
I may have overcomplicated it... measuring from the rims to the frame should do it also.

Mine was a similar story ...you couldn't drive it safely over 50. Seriously.

It took a lot of tweaking to get it where it is ..65 mph with one finger , all the time:

Here is my formula:

Learn to dry test the steering with someone moving the wheel from 10-2 slowly and watching the connections. Do this routinely.

1. You have to have good bushings everywhere you have bushings ..not one can be worn.

2.Grease.

3. Great tires , preferably all terrains... remember the more aggressive the tire , the worse the drive normally. 26 psi.

4 . Adjustable track bars if shes lifted 4" + , to center the axles .

5. JKS sway bar links .

6 .1/8" Toe in

7. All your front end components have to have no slop. None .

8. No dropped pitman arms unless the track bar is dropped , and that is redundant so avoid that scenario if possible as it adds parts , and the leverage can move the dropped track bar frame mount.

9 . Good hub unit bearings

10. The lower steering shaft bearing must allow no appreciable shaft play .

This is not some ideal set up , but a practical approach for a solid front end.

Remember , components rarely get replaced all at once ..so over tge years you end up with a number of components at various stages of wear .

Cumulative play is the same as one awful connection , if not worse.

Stay motivated. It can be done and the results are the reward .

The more I read, the more having a Jeep is like having another dog with all the things you need to keep after (care/feeding/exercise/vet checks/etc.) :unsure:

The more I read, the more having a Jeep is like having another dog with all the things you need to keep after (care/feeding/exercise/vet checks/etc.) :unsure:
Well , typically , most tj’s at this stage have wear on various components , and modifications that may have altered the geometry , alignment ,etc.

Once you dial it in, it’s just another vehicle that requires regular maintenance ...like most all possessions do.

They aren’t “special needs”...typically the previous owners thought the opposite...and neglected to maintain them ...then you and I have to sort that out.

Reactions: Midwest
Well , typically , most tj’s at this stage have wear on various components , and modifications that may have altered the geometry , alignment ,etc.

Once you dial it in, it’s just another vehicle that requires regular maintenance ...like most all possessions do.

They aren’t “special needs”...typically the previous owners thought the opposite...and neglected to maintain them ...then you and I have to sort that out.

Up in Iowa the winter weather and salt add to the list of regular maintenance as well, though having Tacomas I'm accustomed to things like fluid film application. But yes, neglect seems to be a major reason.

Reactions: AndyG

My jeep has quick disconnect sway bar links (yours? the bushings are looking pretty old, one side has a heim joint so I’m thinking that’s probably wore down some, there also adjustable so how do I know if there adjusted to the proper length?
I’ll check out that Jks set, (where’d u get it from) I’m thinking it’s probably best just to replace them?

My jeep was the same way when I bought it, already had a 3”lift but same down the highway dangerous... it needed tires bad so I replaced them 33. Also installed A courier heavy duty tie rod system in the front, along with upper and lower adjustable control arms, my caster is set at 8.1 deg. (Shop did it) I can’t tell what the reading for my toe and camber is, All of this made a big difference...I could finally drive down the highway with one hand..lol
recently found out the rear axles were pretty bent someone noticed it on the read out I posted from the alignment shop.. so I just had new rear axles installed, upgraded to alloy,
Also needed a new ring and pinion 4 11 gears, I went with a Detroit trutrac LSD..
Which again made big differences in the way it drove, the ass end isn’t jumping all over the place now. The funny thing is each time I replace something it drives better but at the same time I can feel something else just isn’t quite right..It’s definitely getting there but I’m now beginning to discover how well this jeep actually can Feel.... it’s my first one so I don’t have anything to compare to, but from what I’ve read they can be solid feeling vehicles.