Jeep was hit while parked, what should I do?

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Thankfully, it doesn't appear to have done much, if anything. I only knew because someone actually left a note under my wiper.

Only damage I can see is the bracket holding my license plate is broken on one side. Doesn't appear to be any other bodywork damaged.

A vehicle hit hard enough to do that, could that damage the transmission since it was in park at the time?

Thanks folks!

Here's the plate.

20220322_200501.jpg

Looks like you gonna need a new plate holder.
Yeah, that's no big deal.

I'm just wondering if I should spring for an inspection just to look things over.

It feels like it drives just fine. And it didn't dent the crappy, rusted bumper. So I don't think it was too hard a hit.

The most likely transmission damage would be a shearing of the parking pawl. If the park function works as normal I wouldn't worry about it for now.

I would recommend rocking the vehicle back and forth on flat ground in park to make sure the slop hasn't noticeably increased.

If you're concerned, I personally would continue to drive it, but just use the parking brake at every stop in case the parking pawl does give up the ghost.

For what it's worth, I have a 2007 F150 automatic that inadvertently got dragged forward in park without a parking brake. 40,000 miles later I still have no transmissions issues. I did however have to replace the differential, as it gained an impressive amount of backlash. Any time I would go from forward to reverse or vice versa, the whole driveline would make a loud slamming sound as all the slack was taken out.

Reactions: CybrSlydr