Jeep wont go above 2600 rpm

Brian Moore

I know jeeps arent made to accelerate fast but. I was wondering if its normal not to beable to get above 2600 rpm with pedal to the floor. My jeep has the 2.5L automatic and has a 4inch lift and 18 inch tires. If its not normal what would cause this. I was thinkin maybe bad cat. Because i noticed the other day my feet were gettin warm and felt the floor and it was pretty warm.

Two things:

1) The 4 cylinder TJs are anemic at high speeds. I used to have a 4 cylinder Cherokee XJ, and that thing could barely get out of it's own way on the highway. It gets worse when you pair it with an automatic transmission and bigger wheels / tires. So what you're describing is normal to a point.

2) However, if your TJ seems like it's running bad, or it just started doing this, you should check to see if you have a check engine light. If so, you should scan it (or any auto part store will scan it for free) with an OBDII scanner and see what (if any) codes it's throwing. That would be the first place to start.

So, your engine will rev to over 2,600 rpm will when sitting in park or neutral, won't it? Because if it can't do that, then there's definitely something going on. When I first read the thread title, that's what I assumed you were talking about. Going down the road with a load on the engine is one thing, but if you can't reach 2,600 rpm without a load on it, something is amiss.

I've owned two cars that did that from a completely clogged cat. If even in 1st gear it won't go over 2600rpms then I'd guess your cat is clogged. Also, if you don't take care of it the exhaust valves can get burned up.