Jeep wont start, running out of ideas

H_Nunez

TJ Enthusiast
Hello forum, please help me with some ideas. My 06 auto 4.0 Rubicon wont start. It just does not crank. I tested the battery and it is fine, it holds power. I tried jump starting it with no luck. I checked the starting relay and fuse on the power distribution center and are all fine. Power to the starter is also ok. Everything else seems to be working fine, lights, radio, etc...

Also, when I turn the key i hear a click behind the glovebox, so I assume that the ignition switch its doing its job and is sending a signal somewhere...

I also tried to crank it while shifting between park and neutral with no luck.

The only thing I`ve done different in the last few days was testing the axle lockers and exercised between 4L and 4H (I do this every other month to test the transfer case). Did a quick inspection under the jeep and can`t see anything obviously wrong or disconnected...

I even shorted the starting relay to test the circuit between the relay and the starting solenoid simulating a start while someone was turning the key and it cranks, but does not start. I assume that the relay is not getting the start signal, but when I simulate it, it turns but doesn`t start... Any ideas of what might be going on here??

Is there a way tho know what the PCM is "thinking", is it "protecting" the jeep from starting??

Thanks in advance for your help...

Last edited:
Update... just found out that the code checking procedure (turning the key 3 times) is not working either... Would this mean that there is a problem with the ignition?? is there a way to test this??

I am not saying this is it, because I am not standing in front of your jeep, but a failing or failed ignition actuator isn't a rare thing on these. Have you researched this yet? It's not difficult to do, IF, it is your problem.

A broken ignition actuator pin would be high on my list of suspects too. It's located behind the ignition lock and is what actually turns the ignition switch. They do break which will prevent the engine from starting. I carry a spare for that reason.

Last edited: