Jeep won't start

CharlieG007

So about 4 days ago, I noticed that my Jeep was starting slow. And then yesterday it cranked over slowly then died. The lights on the dash do turn on, the radio turns on but no crank what so ever. I have replaced the ignition switch, new battery, and also had my alternator rebuilt. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Do you have a voltmeter? If so what is the voltage across the battery terminals?

It may be worth getting a battery/alternator/starter check in case you have a dud. Most auto parts stores do it fir free. Some of the cheaper brands can fail pretty quickly

Do you have a voltmeter? If so what is the voltage across the battery terminals?

It may be worth getting a battery/alternator/starter check in case you have a dud. Most auto parts stores do it fir free. Some of the cheaper brands can fail pretty quickly

I had my battery and alternator checked, but not my starter. May get it checked tomorrow. I’m just very puzzled on how it went from driving fine to just slowly dying to dead.

Did you have the same symptoms before the new alternator? It almost sounds like it's not charging. You would be able to drive fine, until a low voltage issue presents, and then everything shuts down. The radio and lights might still work from the reduced voltage, but the low voltage may not be able to power or sustain your car. It could be the alternator or it could be the PCM incorrectly signaling the alternator when to charge.

If you have a battery charger go ahead and keep the battery charged. Keeping it in a discharged state can damage it

Did you have the same symptoms before the new alternator? It almost sounds like it's not charging. You would be able to drive fine, until a low voltage issue presents, and then everything shuts down. The radio and lights might still work from the reduced voltage, but the low voltage may not be able to power or sustain your car. It could be the alternator or it could be the PCM incorrectly signaling the alternator when to charge.

If you have a battery charger go ahead and keep the battery charged. Keeping it in a discharged state can damage it

No this is the first time it’s ever happened. I put a new starter in it two years ago and even before that it hadn’t happened.

I would definitely suspect the alternator then.

I would recommend picking up a voltmeter (preferably digital).

Measure the voltage with the engine off. It should be 12.5 volts, hopefully a bit more. If it's below 12 the battery is mostly discharged, and should be put on a charger.

Once the engine is running, check the voltage across the battery terminals. It should be closer to 14 volts. If it's less than about 13.6, then I would suspect there is an issue with the alternator or the PCM (less likely).

Also, go back and clean and tighten every electrical connection, especially the wires connecting to the battery and to the alternator. If you can locate where the ground strap on the battery grounds to, clean that too. If there is even a little corrosion or dirt in the connections, it can cause some odd issues.

Take some steel wool and make every connection shiny. If there is corrosion buildup on a battery terminal, use a mixture of baking soda and water and scrub it away

I would definitely suspect the alternator then.

I would recommend picking up a voltmeter (preferably digital).

Measure the voltage with the engine off. It should be 12.5 volts, hopefully a bit more. If it's below 12 the battery is mostly discharged, and should be put on a charger.

Once the engine is running, check the voltage across the battery terminals. It should be closer to 14 volts. If it's less than about 13.6, then I would suspect there is an issue with the alternator or the PCM (less likely).

Also, go back and clean and tighten every electrical connection, especially the wires connecting to the battery and to the alternator. If you can locate where the ground strap on the battery grounds to, clean that too. If there is even a little corrosion or dirt in the connections, it can cause some odd issues.

Take some steel wool and make every connection shiny. If there is corrosion buildup on a battery terminal, use a mixture of baking soda and water and scrub it away
I will try that, thanks!