Jeep wouldn't start, but then it did

If you leave your key in the ON position for about a minute or so, will the gauges then begin registering? Or, leave your key in for 30 seconds to a minute, turn it off, and then back to ON. Do the gauges begin working? Don't try and start the Jeep during this test. Just see if your gauges come to life.

I had that problem for ages. The gauges would take a while to "come to life", especially in the winter. I could hear the clicking of the fuel pump and ASD relays in the engine bay and then the gauges would register. Once they would register, my Jeep started right up.
Thank you for this but unfortunately no luck. Switching the key over and leaving it gets me the “no bus” and check engine light. The gauges still seem to be deal. The battery has also died. Charging it tmrw and if it still doesn’t turn on I guess I got to tow it. I am pretty sure at this point it’s an electrical issue because It used to turn off after car washers but I stopped going there to wash it.

Sorry to hear. I had similar issues with a different vehicle years ago. It would act up in wet weather. It turned out that something ate through some wires in my engine and caused all kinds of problems. It was a simple fix once found. I hope yours turns out to be a simple fix as well.

Reactions: ObedaTJ
I had a dead spot in my started, sometimes I would start sometimes it wouldn't, I've had to pop start it a couple times to get my home but It would almost always start on flat ground for me, like in my garage but if I parked it at school It wouldn't start later I replaced the started and never had the problem again

don't take this the wrong way but you need to change your lingo.

When you say "turn on" do you mean the engine has started??

reading this I was just about to go look for little Billy in the well (Lassie reference).

don't take this the wrong way but you need to change your lingo.

When you say "turn on" do you mean the engine has started??

reading this I was just about to go look for little Billy in the well (Lassie reference).
Sorry, when I say turn on yeah I mean the engine has started.

Okay so I took it to a mechanic today. Had to get it towed, 80$ was the cheapest for a 4 mile drive. It turned out to be the crank shaft position sensor, they got the part and are going to install it

Okay so I took it to a mechanic today. Had to get it towed, 80$ was the cheapest for a 4 mile drive. It turned out to be the crank shaft position sensor, they got the part and are going to install it

Make sure its a Mopar brand sensor.

Make sure its a Mopar brand sensor.
It is, it costed me 110 and 85 for labor.
Now the Jeep seems to be running normally however my oil gauge is sitting at this, it used to normally sit on 20 this is the first time

94468186-D4B7-4290-BB62-B62D8A5A1185.jpeg

Okay so now I’m having problems with acceleration, at first glance I thought maybe I needed to get used to it again because I’ve been driving a 2016 Ford Raptor and it’s not a slow truck but I know my Jeep and it has definitely gotten weaker

SOme more problems!! This is going to give me a heart attack! I was in a parking lot turned it on, oil pressure gauge stayed at 0 and it didn’t change and the check gauges light came on, waited 2 mins and it turned off by itself..

SOme more problems!! This is going to give me a heart attack! I was in a parking lot turned it on, oil pressure gauge stayed at 0 and it didn’t change and the check gauges light came on, waited 2 mins and it turned off by itself..

Just throw a new oil pressure sending unit in it. Not hard or time consuming to do yourself. The sending unit is almost always the culprit for bad oil readings. If your oil pressure truly was 0 you'd be in a lot more trouble right now...

Make sure to get a mopar sensor once again.

Just throw a new oil pressure sending unit in it. Not hard or time consuming to do yourself. The sending unit is almost always the culprit for bad oil readings. If your oil pressure truly was 0 you'd be in a lot more trouble right now...

Make sure to get a mopar sensor once again.
More trouble than the engine dying on me in the middle of the road?

Yes, your engine would be in pieces. That is much worse than it dying in the middle of the road. You do not have 0 oil pressure. The gauge is just wrong.
Do you think it’s safe to drive home (6 mins) I don’t want it to blow up

Do you think it’s safe to drive home (6 mins) I don’t want it to blow up

Yes, you can drive it. You have normal oil pressure the gauge just isn't showing it. I drove mine around a bit while waiting on a new oil pressure sending unit to show up.

If you had 0 oil pressure, you'd know in short order (AKA a few seconds). The fact that you already idled it for two minutes and nothing happened proves you have normal oil pressure.

Reactions: ObedaTJ
Yes, you can drive it. You have normal oil pressure the gauge just isn't showing it. I drove mine around a bit while waiting on a new oil pressure sending unit to show up.

If you had 0 oil pressure, you'd know in short order (AKA a few seconds). The fact that you already idled it for two minutes and nothing happened proves you have normal oil pressure.
Drove it home, drove normal other than the acceleration issue. thanks so much!!

Good morning. Woke up hoping I could drive to school today, nope. Jeep again is not starting, it cranks and cranks but doesn’t turn over, my oil gauge still won’t go up, could this be the reason?