Jeep Wrangler TJ 2.5 jerking and misfiring

wrangleras

Hi fellow jeepers,

For the past year or so i have been facing issues with my TJ (1997, 2.5l, manual) and i ve been hoping i get your advise of what might be based on the info below 🙏
On random occasions my jeep starts jerking and bucking and missfiring.

It can happen after a mile of driving or after 30 miles of driving. Its randomly happening (usally when its hot though) and once every few days.

It always happens on 1st or 2nd and sometimes on 3rd gear ( never happened on 4th or 5th)
When it starts jerking i get no errors, no check engine light and my rpm jumps from 500 to 1500 continuously. At the same time its missfiring and i can smell gas from the exaust like its not burning right.
If i switch off and switch on again it then runs normal.

Somewhere here i have to mention that i ve got a cracked manifold but its been cracked on the same spot few years now and never caused any related issues.

When I started facing this issue it was giving an error that the CPS sensor was faulty so i replaced it and the error dissappear. Few days later i had the same issue but on less occasion.
Also to mention (even though might not be related), the issue started the day my mechanic replaced my transmission gasket.

Reading on old posts to a similar issues i know that it could be a clocked catalyst, or O2 sensor, or TPS sensor or event a faulty fuel pump but i am hoping based on the the information up it can indicate to something more specific. Unfortunately i live on a small island in Europe making it hard and expensive for me to get parts and would like to avoid spending money on something that it might not be related and therefore writting this post 😅

Could be the cracked manifold? If it was the manifold i would face the same issue way before?

Could it be my catalyst converter? Would it happen only on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear though or will it be doing it on any speed if a clocked catalyst?

If its the TPS sensor, should i get an error code?

Maybe its indeed the CPS sensor and the new one is not good?

Could it be the O2 sensor and maybe a reason am getting cracked manifolds ( changed few over the years)?

Sorry for all the questions :)
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Update - Resolved >>>>

After listening to my mechanic (wrongly) i have replaced my CPS sensor and MAP sensor but my issue was not resolved and waisted money. I have then tested my TPS sensor and and catalyst converter on my own everything looked fine. Also checked my alternator that its providing correct measurements as it was suggested in a forum and it was also reading ok. So at last i have decided to replace my O2 upstream sensor and my issue has dissappear finally!!

Unfortunately i was convinced by my mechanic that the readings of the O2 were ok but actually he was completely wrong and i was carried away.
Nevertheless the issue is now resolved and if you ever face any similar issues like me without getting any codes i would suggest to test your TPS sensor, Map sensor and upstream O2 sensor and it will be easy to identify which is faulty.

Just for your information i have used a Denso sensor for upstream as i didnt want to wait for the NTK23179 to be back in stock and am super relieved that it works fine. Its been 2 months now and everything runs smoothly.

Reactions: tr21triton
Glad you were able to finally get it diagnosed and fixed. Intermittent issues like this are always harder to track down and resolve.

Reactions: tr21triton