JeepManJones' 2005 TJ X Build

JeepManJones

Well, here we go! Pictured below is the new to me 2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ X, with the infamous 4.0 inline six paired to the NSG370 6 Speed Manual transmission.
IMG_1833.JPG
IMG_1834.JPGIMG_1835.JPGIMG_1836.JPGIMG_1837.JPG

It has 196,000 miles. I practically stole it at $3550 and the frame is mint. The previous owner just had the rear main seal replaced too, along with a boatload of other things, which was a nice surprise.

My plans for the Jeep is to build it into an extremely capable off road rig.

I'm going to start with bumpers front and rear, spare tire carrier, winch, and LED headlights. I'm also going to take the flares off and give them a fresh coat of black.

My good friend has a great connection with rough country so I am going to do either a 4" or 6" long arm lift kit. He recently put the 4" long arm kit on his JKU and we were blown away with the quality. Rough Country's new Vertex shocks are very impressive and the overall quality of Rough Country products has gone way up. In the past they definitely got a bad rep but I was truly extremely impressed. We have wheeled the hell out of the kit and it has far exceeded my expectations. NO I'm not a RC rep hahah.

I'm looking to do 35's or 33's. We shall see. Still weighing my options. I know I will have to do something about the axles (super 35 kit, Dana 44 swap? I'm confused, gonna take while to figure this out lol) and the Currie heavy duty steering system. Along with a beefier braking setup. And of course a re-gear.

Once I figure out the axle situation I'm gonna do e lockers front and rear.

Very excited and looking forward to everything.

Well I learned a lot in the past few days. Number one, before I go lifting and enlarging everything on the Jeep, I have decided to enjoy it in stock form. I hit the ground running too fast. Didn't even give myself a chance to enjoy it as is. Instead of tossing all sorts of parts at the Jeep, I might as well do some wheeling with it in stock form to gauge what I need and what I feel is satisfactory in stock form.

I removed the fender flares and am going to sand them down and paint them. I also wire brushed the heck out of the rear bumper and am going to paint it too, along with the spare tire carrier.

Going to take it to a local shop, to save some time, and have the brakes done.

Also going to go from the 28.5" tires I have to some good 31's. I won't have to regear, lift etc., and it will be a huge improvement to looks and function.

Along with detailing the interior and exterior, I'm now on a path to have a really nice platform to start my adventure on. This way I can make sure the Jeep is 100% before I start modding things. It'll save boatloads of money and I'll still be able to have just as much fun in the meantime.

Going to pickup some recovery and safety, along with a good CB radio, too.