Jerrycan Mount for Rear Bumper

MonkeyTrev

I am working on building a Jerrycan mount for the back bumper of my Jeep. The pictures show the overall idea and it’ll have two jugs mounted instead of just one. I was wondering if the smittybilt jerrycan mount will fit the military style scepter cans? If not I found option 2 on Amazon. Will either one of these fit the scepter can ?

255B5247-83E2-4FE3-B957-C73AFEFB0EAE.jpeg
71BC9F9A-8E1C-4884-8190-4ACF11C0CF6A.jpeg
Option 2
41BDD418-16BE-4FC2-8123-30535902D9A6.jpeg
Option 1
8D6F01A4-B76F-4627-BBAC-49E257E5EE13.jpeg

Ask yourself this! When do you need more than 240+ miles of gas between fill ups? If you had a Sportster I would say yes! but all else I would say you dont need it lol Tell me why you need it?

I think he means the fuel tank plus the two gerry cans.
But the point is they could be extra water, or even extra tool kit if that's what is needed. I'm not one to tell others what they want on their Jeep. But it is a valid point.
I would go for the style that completely encases the bottom of the can. They can also be used up behind the front fender with a bit of bracing behind the sheetmetal. Do they fit the cans? I'm not sure, but the military uses the metal and the plastic so I would think they both fit.

I think he means the fuel tank plus the two gerry cans.
But the point is they could be extra water, or even extra tool kit if that's what is needed. I'm not one to tell others what they want on their Jeep. But it is a valid point.
I would go for the style that completely encases the bottom of the can. They can also be used up behind the front fender with a bit of bracing behind the sheetmetal. Do they fit the cans? I'm not sure, but the military uses the metal and the plastic so I would think they both fit.
That’s my plan for the moment. I have a fuel jug and a water jug I’m going to mount. My idea is if I ever was to need the two cans of gas for a week long trip I’d just throw the water jug in the back of the Jeep and throw a second fuel jug on the rack. I’d rather be over prepared than underprepared.

Reactions: lowranger
The location of that can in the first picture blocks your view when you use the rear view mirror or pull out into traffic at certain angles.

Reactions: Apparition
I have the smittybilt and it rattles quite a bit. I’ve now gone to rotopax, they are silent.

Ask yourself this! When do you need more than 240+ miles of gas between fill ups? If you had a Sportster I would say yes! but all else I would say you dont need it lol Tell me why you need it?
Moab to elephant hill trail and back to Moab had me on low fuel when I pulled into the first gas station I could get to.

I had an extra jerry can just incase so I was prepared.

I have hardly any rear view window anyway with my spare tire. I see just the tire.
I dealt with that with a 33 , but that and the roll bar creates a serious blind spot when crossing a lane and turning left with traffic.

I run an in the mirror back up camera, that helps for backing.

First off....that's what "he wants". Second, some of us use our Jeeps for what they are intended for, going out in the mountains and staying for 4 - 5 days or a week to hunt, fish and camp.
I'm not one either to tell a guy what he wants or needs for "his" Jeep.

I dealt with that with a 33 , but that and the roll bar creates a serious blind spot when crossing a lane and turning left with traffic.

I run an in the mirror back up camera, that helps for backing.
Good to know. I’ll throw it back up there and see what I think of the issue.

Reactions: AndyG
First off....that's what "he wants". Second, some of us use our Jeeps for what they are intended for, going out in the mountains and staying for 4 - 5 days or a week to hunt, fish and camp.
I'm not one either to tell a guy what he wants or needs for "his" Jeep.
They make a little deal that converts one into a toolbox or serves as a toolbox I thought that was neat.

We had a situation a couple of weeks ago where we got off and one of the guys had an improperly installed radiator...there was a big clear creek nearby with really fresh water... I was not in my TJ that has the can but I've always said if I had a can with me empty I know it could come in handy.

I know I'm a little off track on the reserve fuel side of it... The biggest thing is someone is going to transport fuel would be to consider non-ethanol fuel because it's got far longer shelf life... The pressure of the fuel injection system stabilizes ethanol... A can doesn't have that.

My can fits between the swing away and the tailgate and I like that location.

I'm using a lot of words to say I think having a container around is a good idea.

Last edited:
I als
They make a little deal that converts one into a toolbox or serves as a toolbox I thought that was neat.

We had a situation a couple of weeks ago where we got off and one of the guys had an improperly installed radiator...there was a big clear creek nearby with really fresh water... I was not in my TJ that has the can but I've always said if I had a can with me empty I know it could come in handy.

I know I'm a little off track on the reserve fuel side of it... The biggest thing is someone is going to transport fuel would be to consider non-ethanol fuel because it's got far longer shelf life... The pressure of the fuel injection system stabilizes ethanol... A can doesn't have that.

I'm using a lot of words to say I think having a container around is a good idea.
I also thought about using one side to mount maybe two 5lb propane tanks for those long trips to use with the cook stove.

That's okay....I got it. :)