Jerrycan Mount for Rear Bumper

my TJ had this setup on it when I got it. I didn't need the extra cans and don't like swing out tire carriers so I decided to change out the back bumper. But this would be easier to load and unload than hoisting ~50# up high.

Jy3ic4Sh.jpg

Reactions: Kaptainkid1
Ask yourself this! When do you need more than 240+ miles of gas between fill ups?

This would be one place.

Gasoline at Catavina.jpg

Imagine a traveler's dilemma being 100 miles from the closest gas station only to discover that this guy decided to take the day off or that he ran out of fuel to sell.

For those saying, "But that's Mexico, we don't need no stinking jerry cans in the U.S.", here is another spot where a TJ/LJ needs extra gasoline right in the middle of Plumas County CA on the California Back Country Discovery Trail from Oregon to Mexico.

Smoke from the Fires started by dry lightening.jpg

,"

Last edited:
I am working on building a Jerrycan mount for the back bumper of my Jeep. The pictures show the overall idea and it’ll have two jugs mounted instead of just one.

View attachment 214549

I use jerry can mounts manufactured by Rock Hard 4x4. They are currently priced at $149 each, but I think I paid $129. Wavian, Blitz, Rotopax and U.S. MFCs and MWCs all fit without any rattling. [The two examples you posted will both rattle with metal cans .]

RH-2003-RT-2T.jpg

Jerry Cans 2.jpgJerry Cans.jpgOn the beach at Samoa Dunes.jpg

Even with the cans in place they do not block my rear vision to any significant degree.

View out rear window with gear packed 05 05 19.jpg

I use jerry can mounts manufactured by Rock Hard 4x4. They are currently priced at $149 each, but I think I paid $129. Wavian, Blitz, Rotopax and U.S. MFCs and MWCs all fit without any rattling. [The two examples you posted will both rattle with metal cans .]

View attachment 214635

View attachment 214630View attachment 214631View attachment 214633

Even with the cans in place they do not block my rear vision to any significant degree.

View attachment 214634
I built one like this months back, but I can only carry one can on the driver side. The one mounted on the passenger side of the swing out hits hard top and blocks the back glass from opening.

I am working on building a Jerrycan mount for the back bumper of my Jeep. The pictures show the overall idea and it’ll have two jugs mounted instead of just one. I was wondering if the smittybilt jerrycan mount will fit the military style scepter cans? If not I found option 2 on Amazon. Will either one of these fit the scepter can ?

View attachment 214549View attachment 214550Option 2View attachment 214552Option 1View attachment 214553

Does your rear window open with the water jerry can on the swing out?
The issue with my Rockhard tire swing out is the Jerry Cans can block my rear window from opening if the swing out isnt completely locked open. Yours looks like you might have clearance issue to according to your photo.

I've been told the Rotopax cans glug and chug when you empty them🤔, splashing fuel around. No personal experience tho. What say you all?👂

Rotopack make a strap rig that goes around your spare tire and will hold a jug on each side. It a pretty clean set up. I don't feel the need to carry extra fuel and can easily get 250 miles on a tank with a little left over.

I've been told the Rotopax cans glug and chug when you empty them🤔, splashing fuel around. No personal experience tho. What say you all?👂

The trick is to throw away the CARB-approved "ECO Spout" shipped with the fuel can and buy the yellow self-venting spout for $7.95 - still makes a bit of "glugging" sound but no splashing.

self%20venting.jpg

Another option if one uses a jerry can mount on a swing-away arm and can carrier is to put the gas can on the drivers side, leave the can in place, and use a Super Siphon. That's what I do with my fuel can.

71XTtmY6O5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

BTW, this is the problematic CARB approved spout:

ECO_Spout_Large.png

Last edited:
I have something similar to option 1 but mine is built by Garvin for attachment to their tire carrier. I have option 2 sitting in my garage.

There have been several occasions that I've used my Jerry can. In middle of nowhere New Mexico, California, Arizona, and Nevada. It's especially handy when I'm loaded up and going through the mountains or exploring desert trails. It has helped me add another 50 miles or so to my 'don't worry yet' mentally.

Reactions: Apparition
. . . The issue with my Rockhard tire swing out is the Jerry Cans can block my rear window from opening if the swing out isnt completely locked open. . . .
?????

The Rockhard 4x4 can carriers/swingout are designed specifically so that the rear window will swing open without any interference from the passenger side can carrier or a jerry can when the swingout is locked in the open position.

How is that an issue?

The "safety pin" is advertised this way:

"Safety pin to prevent tire carrier closure when you are stopped on an angle and accessing rear compartment."

In my early morning, pre-coffee mind it is a positive rather than a negative.

IMG_2348.jpg

Wow! Does Titan advocate using that with the TJ factory tailgate hinges and spare tire carrier? Filled with 12 gallons of gasoline it will weigh as much as a second 35" spare. However, on further reflection, with the right tailgate hinges and mount that shouldn't be an issue because it won't weigh much more than two jerry cans

Now I'm wondering if Titan has one that will work with the swing-away spare tire carrier on my Sprinter. My options thus far are a (1) 14 gal. auxiliary tank and transfer pump installed for $2,450 with a backlog until March, (2) two 20l Wavian diesel jerry cans with ARB rack on top of my existing rear box, $350.

I was focusing on option #2, following the K.I.S.S. principle and settling for 2/3 of the extra range I wanted until I saw your post. Hmmm.

Rear View 2.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting mounting options in this vid. I’ve not seen anyone mount rotopax right to their drivers door, not sure I’d want that at all.