JK axle swap for TJ

Hog

Know it all...according to wife
Supporting Member
It has been done plenty of times before, but it’s far from a bolt-on affair. It’s also a huge rabbit hole.

Good article on the exact process involved in converting them here, they also do a really good comparison of the differences between the TJ axles and JK axles.

I read that article every time the thought pops into my head to do that swap.

Reactions: Irun and Hog
It has been done plenty of times before, but it’s far from a bolt-on affair. It’s also a huge rabbit hole.
Thx.. I guess I haven’t stumbled across it yet.. I imagine jk axles would be wider causing “rabbit hole” problems

I’m curious how this build goes, front dynatrac JK axle into an LJ. The kicker is they are going to modify the LJ and not the axle.

Reactions: Jamesval035
Thx.. I guess I haven’t stumbled across it yet.. I imagine jk axles would be wider causing “rabbit hole” problems

Yep, and then you have to decide at that point if you want to try and make springs and shocks work, or just go to coilovers.

@cruzcode did the swap I believe, as have many others. It’s cheaper than some other swaps, but it’s also very involved.

you can start with used 60's for less than 2k. those axles are way overpriced until the seller lays out upgraded parts details that can explain that #. the clean white sticker over the top of the rust is plexing.

the swap kit is moot, it's needed for any axle not made for a TJ.
the wheel to wheel width on the JK axle can be controlled with rim back spacing (they come with 6" BS rims). makes them real close to what a TJ requires to run 12.5's. you can even run certain 15" rims on them (this kicks the wheels out wider due to BS) until you start upgrading the brakes or TRE's.

finding the axles real cheap is the only reason to bother. or upgrades you want, like different gearing or lockers could make them worth a bit more to you. not having to buy the parts, do the labor or farm the work out.
but being able to perform most of the transition work is most of the expense.

Reactions: Chris and Hog
I’m curious how this build goes, front dynatrac JK axle into an LJ. The kicker is they are going to modify the LJ and not the axle.

Wow ...good video.. lots of modifications that make me think it would be better to go with a TJ axle if ya ever wanted to upgrade

Reactions: Apparition
Wow ...good video.. lots of modifications that make me think it would be better to go with a TJ axle if ya ever wanted to upgrade
I would think swapping brackets on the axle would be better for further modifications that will come down the road. They’ll likely be modifying a lot of things to make them work as intended.

I would think swapping brackets on the axle would be better for further modifications that will come down the road. They’ll likely be modifying a lot of things to make them work as intended.
Ya I’m no expert but I think your correct

Reactions: Apparition
Definitely post some photos if you don't mind (y)
These have not been centered or squared to the frame, but will give people an idea. Stock
20200331_135336.jpg
20200331_135343.jpg
20200331_135414.jpg
20200331_135403.jpg
20200331_135356.jpg
20200331_135432.jpg

I did a rear jk rubicon 44, if you do like I did and replace everything on the axle, it’s better to buy an assembled axle.
There are better ways to do it then I did though. I never got around to a front axle because I couldn’t justify the starting price of the axle to the end state.
2DB790FE-DDCE-4938-B76A-D72E7E5243A5.jpeg
C2191EF1-833A-4B75-BAEF-153086479B9E.jpeg
FF684115-0A6F-4949-8936-F515E1F33856.jpeg

Reactions: Hog and Chris
I did a rear jk rubicon 44, if you do like I did and replace everything on the axle, it’s better to buy an assembled axle.
There are better ways to do it then I did though. I never got around to a front axle because I couldn’t justify the starting price of the axle to the end state.
View attachment 149677View attachment 149678View attachment 149679
I agree. I'm actually going to sell those Rubicon axles. I already picked up an HP 30 and 8.8 with ARB's for about half what I can get for those things. I'll have to do a little work to the other set, but not much and they're already geared to what I want.

What steering are you guys using? I'm thinking of ordering Synergy and modifying as needed. Custom full-length track bar. Never have messed with JK axles except lockers and regear.