JK or TJ?

I disagree, the 3.8 and 4 spd auto and interior are certainly less desirable than the '12 and up. I've driven both and it's night and day from 3.8 4 spd to 3.6 and 5 speed.
How does the 3.8 compare to your 4.0? That's right, it's "better" but despite the all that here we are on a TJ forum with our terrible engines. Some people bash the 2.5 and 2.4 as well. I don't think it's a big deal like I said, all of them have their issues.

How does the 3.8 compare to your 4.0? That's right, it's "better" but despite the all that here we are on a TJ forum with our terrible engines. Some people bash the 2.5 and 2.4 as well. I don't think it's a big deal like I said, all of them have their issues.
Have no reason or real way to compare them in the same vehicle where I have done just that in a JK. Same reason I, personally, wouldn't buy a 4 banger TJ when the 4.0 was available.

Thanks

Thanks for the recommendation, Jerry.
Not only was Robin Olds a shit-hot pilot, he was an Ace in both WWII and Vietnam. The now famous Operation Bolo plan he came up with after he arrived at Udorn AFB in Thailand saved the lives of a LOT of American Pilots flying over North Vietnam. He was sent there to stop the nearly 50% loss of pilots in operations over North Vietnam and he did just that.

Operation Bolo is a story unto itself, it was absolutely brilliant. F-105 'Thud' bomber pilots were being sent over North Vietnam to take out radar and missile sites and not being fighters, the North Vietnamese pilots easily shot them down all day every day. Not only that but Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara ordered them to fly the exact routes and altitudes into North Vietnam at the same times every day. That made them sitting ducks which is what happens when you let the fucking politicians try to run a war.

Robin's Operation Bolo had the F-105 Thuds stand down while Robin leading his F-4 fighters flew the exact same routes using the same frequencies and call signs imitating the F-105s perfectly. When the North Vietnamese pilots took their MIGs up to shoot them down as they did every day, they were instead met with American fighters anxious for revenge and they shot down nearly every MIG. The only ones they didn't shoot down ducked out of the fight and landed safely because McNamara's rules said we couldn't attack their air bases. Olds also instilled a far more aggressive way of fighting into our pilots. American losses went WAY down once Col. Olds took over and he soon became a certified hero (again). He also became known for his awesome handlebar moustache which was his way of "flipping the bird" at senor brass since it was strictly illegal but they said nothing since he was so successful while flying out of Thailand.

One last story about Robin. Upon his return back to the US, the first official order he received was to shave his famous mustache off. He did and was then sent to take over command of the US Air Force Academy whose morale in the dumps. He was also promoted to Brigadier General. Upon arrival at the Academy, he went out to speak for the first time to the Cadets who were awaiting their hero in their Dining Hall. When Robin stepped out to speak, tears came to his eyes... in tribute to Robin, every Cadet was wearing a big handlebar moustache cut out of cardboard. They loved him and his fighter pilot record and were excited to have him as their new Commander. Morale instantly turned around.

All that and a lot more is in that book. Shit hot.

This is Robin after returning from his 100th mission over North Vietnam.

Capture.JPG

Definitely a TJ, they are far easier to work on being less computerized and less dependent on computer buses. Not to mention many, including me, consider the TJ to be the last of the "real" Jeeps.

If you decide to go with a JK anyway at least go with later models that have the MUCH more reliable 3.6L engine. The first JKs with the 3.8 earned a bad reputation early on.
I am not an expert as everyone has seen. I like the older ones myself. Pre 2003 or 4 tj is if I’m not mistaking 5th gen Willy’s. I have an 01 and love it. I run with guys in JKs. Newer tech gets around in it a little better. Blah. Everything Jerry said

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Read his book Fighter Pilot, it's a great/fun book and absolutely amazing. I will be starting my third reading of it before too much longer. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0312569513/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thanks for that. It's on my Kindle list now.
Another military author I like is Admiral Daniel V. Gallery. I grew up in a Navy household and it was always assumed, right up to the day I enlisted in the Air Force, that I would also be a Navy man. Boy, was I a rebel.