JK radio in a TJ

wbizzaro

Has anyone put an oem Jeep jk radio in a tj I have an 06 rubicon and would like to put the 7” OEM radio from a jk in my Jeep has anyone done this and if so how difficult was it?

Has anyone put an oem Jeep jk radio in a tj I have an 06 rubicon and would like to put the 7” OEM radio from a jk in my Jeep has anyone done this and if so how difficult was it?
It would be quite difficult as the dash bezel on your TJ is meant for a standard DIN radio. There are aftermarket double DIN bezels, but those aren't big enough for a 7" radio. That along with an aftermarket double DIN radio is your best bet if you want a larger screen.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Double DIN radios are the way to go.
Photos ripped from Google

image1 (1).JPG

IMG_20170810_221103.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Double-Din-Radio-Install-Dash-Kit-Wiring-Harness-_1.jpg

Let me know if you succeeded in doing this. I'm currently trying to figure out what to do about the wire bundles since the male TJ plugs dont fit the female sockets on the JK head unit unless I'm doing something wrong

The problem is much more than just the wiring harness connectors not fitting and more wiring existing with the JK radio harness.
The JK radio has the VIN anti theft protection programmed into the radio and requires CANBUS (ECU communication) to operate properly.
You may be able to hot wire the radio for powering up, but the radio requires the VIN be reset along with the newer JK radios having a multi digit code (anti theft feature) that is required.
You will need to decide whether adapting the harnesses and getting around the anti theft features are really worth the trouble instead of just purchasing an aftermarket radio to install.

Last edited:
Reactions: SSTJ and Okcpuckfan
It would be quite difficult as the dash bezel on your TJ is meant for a standard DIN radio. There are aftermarket double DIN bezels, but those aren't big enough for a 7" radio. That along with an aftermarket double DIN radio is your best bet if you want a larger screen.
The standard TJ dash uses a weird Chrysler size that is about 1.5 DIN. It's not standard DIN.

The problem is much more than just the wiring harness connectors not fitting and more wiring existing with the JK radio harness.
The JK radio has the VIN anti theft protection programmed into the radio and requires CANBUS (ECU communication) to operate properly.
You may be able to hot wire the radio for powering up, but the radio requires the VIN be reset along with the newer JK radios having a multi digit code (anti theft feature) that is required.
You will need to decide whether adapting the harnesses and getting around the anti theft features are really worth the trouble instead of just purchasing an aftermarket radio to
Sounds like im buying an aftermarket. But what is good for a lower budget for the time being?

Sounds like im buying an aftermarket. But what is good for a lower budget for the time being?
Shop Crutchfield, they will get you going and include any wiring harness you need. If you get a double DIN you will also need the new bezel that you can buy from them. I just checked and they are out of stock of many stereos. They show NO stock on double DIN from major brands like Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc.

• USA Proud
Reactions: CharlesHS
Shop Crutchfield, they will get you going and include any wiring harness you need. If you get a double DIN you will also need the new bezel that you can buy from them. I just checked and they are out of stock of many stereos. They show NO stock on double DIN from major brands like Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc.
Chip shortages have been crazy. I installed a Double DIN Sony 5500 in April and then a month later tried to get the same for the XJ and stock was wiped out. I hope Crutchfield survives these shortages.

• Sad
Reactions: Viking Jeeper
SUPER happy with my Alpine ILX-W650.

Very reasonable price. I thought I spent around $300... but looks like the prices have gone up a bit. It's a shallow receiver which was nice with wires... and eventually I bought the amplifier that fits behind the receiver and connects in-line.

FYI, shop around. Just because Amazon or Crutchfield doesn't have what you're looking for, doesn't mean it's not available. Local shops likely will have some inventory. Not sure of their reputation, but Sonic Electronix has double DIN's in stock for multiple major brands.

Last edited: