JL backup camera

RussTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Saw this today

040860B6-C90B-4F4C-B777-3CCA914B1B0E.jpeg

A buddy has a new JL with that setup. Camera appears attached to the spare tire mount, not the tire. It "peeks" through the center hole in the wheel. The cover just has a little elastic goober that snaps around the camera lens.

P1020568.JPG

I personally don’t understand a back up camera on a Jeep. Even a JKU. It’s just such a short vehicle and so maneuverable that it seems unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally don’t understand a back up camera on a Jeep. Even a JKU. It’s just such a short vehicle and so maneuverable that it seems unnecessary.

Us law now requires backup cameras to be installed on all new vehicles

There’s a pretty good case for “less mobile” folks. My stepdad benefits from it because of a number of fused discs in his back and neck.

Reactions: Rapidan
Actually - I'm impressed the Jeep engineers realized that the camera would be blocked if a tire cover was added to the spare, so they came up with a clever and probably inexpensive way to overcome it. Having a backup camera can be helpful in many situations - if you can't see out your back window (maybe due to the large tire on the back) the side view mirrors aren't that great. If I had a dash that could accommodate a screen then I would add a camera too.

A buddy has a new JL with that setup. Camera appears attached to the spare tire mount, not the tire. It "peeks" through the center hole in the wheel. The cover just has a little elastic goober that snaps around the camera lens.

View attachment 60217
I think this is the first time the term "elastic goober " has been used on any automotive based forum.

Reactions: TexasTJ2K
Us law now requires backup cameras to be installed on all new vehicles
Awesome, we need this in AU
There’s a pretty good case for “less mobile” folks.
I got arthritis so it's a must have for me

I know right, I thought that too but people reverse over other people, particularly little people and it happens quite often, I'm all for less rules but any rule that helps keep kids alive is okay by me.

Reactions: AndyG