Johnson Valley Weekend 10-9-20

Rec_Rider

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My son and I went to Johnson Valley this weekend and ran a few trails. Last time I was there I broke an axle on Resolution which prompted me to build a larger more resilient vehicle. Keep in mind that we drive our Jeeps (not trailered) so they need to be drivable at the end of the weekend. My son is running a 2003 Rubicon and 37s and I'm running my modified 2003 Rubicon on 1 tons and 40s. Here a few shots of our activities.

Hit Chocolate Thunder after setting up camp.

20201009_161559.jpg

20201009_164357.jpg

After stopping briefly at Backdoor (only to look) we took the bypass to run Resolution. I'm glad to announce that my modifications worked great and didn't have any issues with the trail this time. It was actually a lot of fun.

20201009_175231.jpg

We were greeted with a sunset shot at the top of the trail.

20201009_180639_resized.jpg

The sunrises in Johnson Valley are just as good. We just happened to spent most of our day on the mountain where the sun was coming up.

20201010_065407_resized.jpg

We were going to attempt Jack Hammer but there were a few rigs in front of us and one was severely overheating half way through and had to turn around. We decided to save the hours in the day and jump over to Sledge Hammer instead. I hadn't done this train before but I will say that it is tough especially using a manual. This is at plaque rock and in hindsight we didn't take the best line. We got through it without damage but it was a pain.

20201010_125350.jpg

Have to take a pic at the mailbox.
20201010_143832.jpg

At the top before heading back down.

20201010_154459-1.jpg

Had to leave on Sunday and decided to run Turkey Claw before packing up. Took a little longer than expected but it was a very fun trail. Many only do the lower section but we took it until the end.

20201011_111753.jpg

20201011_121335.jpg

20201011_123049.jpg

20201011_123330.jpg

We had a great time this weekend outside of the noise at night. Tenting sucks when you are hanging out next to large groups. it doesn't get quiet until 3 or 4 in the morning so you need to expect no sleep. We did rescue a few others while out there including a group of young guys (17 year olds) who broke a spindle while thinking they were Ricky racer. Between 3 trucks they didn't have a jack between them or any tools. We helped them lash the tie rod to the spindle with a strap then told them to take it slow to get to the main road. It those learning experiences that hopefully will make them a little bit wiser.

I've been going to JV for over 20 years but mostly on dirt bikes but there always things to learn from the experiences you get. I had to bend my tie back after Sledge Hammer and my rear control arm mount had been a pain all weekend. I have a little bit of redesigning to do to make the next trip easier on myself but overall the Jeep performed great.

My son and I went to Johnson Valley this weekend and ran a few trails. Last time I was there I broke an axle on Resolution which prompted me to build a larger more resilient vehicle. Keep in mind that we drive our Jeeps (not trailered) so they need to be drivable at the end of the weekend. My son is running a 2003 Rubicon and 37s and I'm running my modified 2003 Rubicon on 1 tons and 40s. Here a few shots of our activities.

Hit Chocolate Thunder after setting up camp.

View attachment 195995

View attachment 195996

After stopping briefly at Backdoor (only to look) we took the bypass to run Resolution. I'm glad to announce that my modifications worked great and didn't have any issues with the trail this time. It was actually a lot of fun.

View attachment 195997

We were greeted with a sunset shot at the top of the trail.

View attachment 195998

The sunrises in Johnson Valley are just as good. We just happened to spent most of our day on the mountain where the sun was coming up.

View attachment 195999

We were going to attempt Jack Hammer but there were a few rigs in front of us and one was severely overheating half way through and had to turn around. We decided to save the hours in the day and jump over to Sledge Hammer instead. I hadn't done this train before but I will say that it is tough especially using a manual. This is at plaque rock and in hindsight we didn't take the best line. We got through it without damage but it was a pain.

View attachment 196004

Have to take a pic at the mailbox.
View attachment 196005

At the top before heading back down.

View attachment 196006

Had to leave on Sunday and decided to run Turkey Claw before packing up. Took a little longer than expected but it was a very fun trail. Many only do the lower section but we took it until the end.

View attachment 196007

View attachment 196008

View attachment 196009

View attachment 196010

We had a great time this weekend outside of the noise at night. Tenting sucks when you are hanging out next to large groups. it doesn't get quiet until 3 or 4 in the morning so you need to expect no sleep. We did rescue a few others while out there including a group of young guys (17 year olds) who broke a spindle while thinking they were Ricky racer. Between 3 trucks they didn't have a jack between them or any tools. We helped them lash the tie rod to the spindle with a strap then told them to take it slow to get to the main road. It those learning experiences that hopefully will make them a little bit wiser.

I've been going to JV for over 20 years but mostly on dirt bikes but there always things to learn from the experiences you get. I had to bend my tie back after Sledge Hammer and my rear control arm mount had been a pain all weekend. I have a little bit of redesigning to do to make the next trip easier on myself but overall the Jeep performed great.
For the plaque line on Sledge, just start hard left, put the left side front tire so it goes over the big rock on the left about 2 feet up where the little notch is. That will pull the rear up and generally clear the diff hanger. It also gives you a better shot at A line since no matter where you start on that ledge rock, you will wind up against the big rock on the left, may as well be on a line that makes it doable.

Reactions: Rec_Rider
For the plaque line on Sledge, just start hard left, put the left side front tire so it goes over the big rock on the left about 2 feet up where the little notch is. That will pull the rear up and generally clear the diff hanger. It also gives you a better shot at A line since no matter where you start on that ledge rock, you will wind up against the big rock on the left, may as well be on a line that makes it doable.
I checked out a couple of videos with that line and that looks like the best one. Going up the way we did made it a bit rough for the next turn like you mentioned.

Let me know the next time you guys head out. I haven’t been in years but, would like to this winter.

Let me know the next time you guys head out. I haven’t been in years but, would like to this winter.
I should have reached out to you. Your Jeep is set up perfectly. Be prepared for some scratches and dings. I actually have a new vibration in the driveline that prevents me from going over 60mph so I'll need to get it checked. I also had to straighten my tie rod while I was out there. Still, it was pretty awesome.

Reactions: DoOver
Im sure it was nice having the Kid with you. Hope that someday I get to share the same experiences with my own. Great photos!
He and I bought our Jeeps around the same time and we bought the same year and model so we can interchange parts if needed (has come in handy). Nearly all of our wheeling has been together which is very special. He helped with my build and he'll be embarking on his 1 ton swap soon which will see a lot of my time at his place.

Reactions: mrblaine