Just.Thorne's Tank Green LJ Build

got home yesterday to the windjammer and bikini, I'm not exactly wanting to run the windjammer at the moment, but it was too good of a deal to pass, as they are both in very good condition. its been pretty cloudy today, so getting the bikini on was a little difficult as it was pretty stiff.

IMG_0183.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg

I also realized that I was missing the hardware for the strap that goes to the speaker pods, so i just cut down a 3-4 inch long section of a nylon tie down strap and used a key ring to make my own mount.

IMG_0186.jpeg

IMG_0188.jpeg

IMG_0189.jpeg

Finally got around to mounting the lights, I had made a bracket about a week ago but I was unhappy with how wobbly it was. The new version is a two piece design that mounts behind the bumper to the sway bar cover holes and the sway bar, so no need for drilling. Just chopped up a piece of 10 (?) gauge steel and bent it with the bench vise and a hammer.

IMG_0206.jpeg

IMG_0203.jpeg

IMG_0204.jpeg

IMG_0205.jpeg

IMG_0209.jpeg

IMG_0210.jpeg

IMG_0210.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

Ordered the adjustable rear track bar, I went with the rough country as I've heard its a good budget option. Currently, the front is adjustable, however the rear is a fixed Rubicon Express unit. I wouldn't care too much about the brand, however the axles are about a inch off-center, and the perfectionist in me wants them centered out.

If anybody has any tips that would be helpful, Ive heard to disconnect them and jump up and down on the bumper to center the axles. Also if anybody knows what size bolts go in the rears, that would be really helpful as the ones that are on it right now are pretty crusty, and I would rather replace them with grade 8 bolts if I'm already there.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.45.41 PM.png

I may be wrong on this, but from what I've heard the axle has a tendency to self center itself when you drop the jeep back on the ground with all 4 tires, shocks and springs in but track bar out. When I was cycling my rear suspension for a JKS adjustable, i had a hard time finding center until after I put the Jeep back down. Jumping up and down on the bumper usually doesn't do much but I guess it wouldn't hurt. I think the rear track bar bolts are 12x1.75 but it's been a while. I reused my factory torx bolt for axle and got something in grade 10.9 with a locking nut for the frame mount. If you don't already got a thread gauge, it's really handy for when you need to replace a ton of fasteners.

I may be wrong on this, but from what I've heard the axle has a tendency to self center itself when you drop the jeep back on the ground with all 4 tires, shocks and springs in but track bar out. When I was cycling my rear suspension for a JKS adjustable, i had a hard time finding center until after I put the Jeep back down. Jumping up and down on the bumper usually doesn't do much but I guess it wouldn't hurt. I think the rear track bar bolts are 12x1.75 but it's been a while. I reused my factory torx bolt for axle and got something in grade 10.9 with a locking nut for the frame mount. If you don't already got a thread gauge, it's really handy for when you need to replace a ton of fasteners.

Thank you so much, I've been meaning to get a thread gauge. so to clarify, you bolted the new trackback in at ride height?

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
Yes, I adjusted the track bar for how it would fit in the bolt holes at ride height. I took measurements from the rear tires to the frame around the spring perch, got roughly the same measurement on both sides.

I just so happened to drive past that auto dealer with the TJs in Barneveld while making a delivery, and I recognized it from this thread. Decided to stop and look at the Jeeps. The Golden eagle, Rubihara, and LJR's are still there. Small world. 🤯

Any idea what he was asking for the Rubihara or do you have contact info ?
Thanks

Got the rear track bar in yesterday, I ended up having to remove the back driver side spring to get the axle side bolt loose, however the axle is straight now. I also went and cleaned the entire Jeep, as i took it down some construction roads with the top off and trashed the interior.

Any idea what he was asking for the Rubihara or do you have contact info ?
Thanks

Yeah, Mapledale Motors in Barneveld, NY, I Believe the Dealers name was Dave (I'm terrible at remembering names) He was a really cool dude, and definitely a Jeep guy, he said when I bought mine that he was working a deal to buy another rubihara, so if you don't like the one he has now he should have another one soon.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 3.21.54 PM.png

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
Thanks for responding.

New to the Rubihara market, is this about right for market value?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you, I don't know much about them, but for what they are I think they are overpriced, they aren't functionally any different then a normal LJ Rubicon, you are really just paying for the "exclusivity" and the "1-1000" badge. They are definitely cool, but in my opinion, they aren't worth the extra 5-10k people often ask for them. that's just my two cents, but if it was my money, I'd buy a normal LJ Rubicon with options I like before a bough a Rubihara.

With all the aftermarket bits (if i was in the market for a rubihara I would want a stock one) and the general condition of it from the photos, I would say it isn't the worst price in the world. although, I don't know the condition of the frame, and knowing the region I'm from, I cant be too sure that it isn't Swiss cheese.

Overall, I don't really know much about them, specifically this one, and if it were me I wouldn't spend my money on one. But I'm not you, and I don't want to influence your purchasing decisions too much, but I would say its definitely worth looking into, and seeing if its the one for you, Just bring a screw driver and check the frame and body mounts for rust really well.

Rant over, Happy hunting, do your research, be patient, I hope you find the right one. (and if you do buy that one, say that Brian or Connor Pudney referred you, I think I get a $50 amazon gift card for that lol)

Made some progress on a little pet project, I found some photos of my dads YJ's From back in the late 90s - early 2000s, And noticed a sticker, from S.C.O.R.E, or Salt City Off Road Enthusiasts, a long since dissolved group from my town, my dad had a tee-shirt from them, which I also want to make a new version of, However when I was digging around in the basement, i found the top of a old toolbox had a original SCORE sticker, same as the one on my dads YJ. Also I threw in a few photos of the YJ. I know that we have some photos of a early 2000s Jeep meet with Cjs, Yjs, and brand spankin new Tjs, however I think they are buried in storage.

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

Reactions: AirborneTexasRanger
Now that I have a good reference of the logo, which there is no existence of online, as the club was dissolved back in 02-03 (the club has been gone longer than I have been alive, lol)I was able to upload it to my Ipad and trace the new logo, and get a PNG version of it that I can send to any company and have stickers made of it, that I plan to put on my jeep as a homage. Also, check out those old school PB-Blaster, Flowmaster, and KC stickers.

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0266 copy.jpg

That logo is awesome.

Yeah, he wears the shirt to every off road event we go to, I think its way of saying "Ive been wheeling longer than you have been alive" its pretty sick though, I was originally trying to recreate it for my 98' so I could do a "period correct" style build, but now I just want it because its cool.

Reactions: AirborneTexasRanger