Just.Thorne's Tank Green LJ Build

Well, the front shocks went on without much issue, I had to chop the top bolts as they were pretty corroded, however the rears (or rear) is not as smooth, I started working on the rear driver, which both top bolts snapped almost immediately, I tried drilling but that didn't work too well, so I'm going to try a air hammer/chisel tomorrow. My godfather is also a "real" mechanic so I'm gonna see if he can stop by and see what he thinks.

(I don't want to just cut open the tub, and don't own a welder so that makes things a little more complicated)

IMG_0840.jpeg

IMG_0841.jpeg

IMG_0843.jpeg

Well, the front shocks went on without much issue, I had to chop the top bolts as they were pretty corroded, however the rears (or rear) is not as smooth, I started working on the rear driver, which both top bolts snapped almost immediately, I tried drilling but that didn't work too well, so I'm going to try a air hammer/chisel tomorrow. My godfather is also a "real" mechanic so I'm gonna see if he can stop by and see what he thinks.

(I don't want to just cut open the tub, and don't own a welder so that makes things a little more complicated)

View attachment 510061

View attachment 510062

View attachment 510063

If you have access to air chisel/hammer, go in from the side. If you need more space, lift the body (if you can get the body mount bolts to break loose without breaking them) before you ever cut in from the top. I've always hated cutting holes in the tub for shocks or gas tank pumps to be the worst solution to a hard problem...

Reactions: JMT
If you have access to air chisel/hammer, go in from the side. If you need more space, lift the body (if you can get the body mount bolts to break loose without breaking them) before you ever cut in from the top. I've always hated cutting holes in the tub for shocks or gas tank pumps to be the worst solution to a hard problem...

I hate the idea of holes in the tub too, I ended up fitting a 1.5'' dremel cutoff wheel up into the shock mounts and cutting the nut about 75% before I ran out of room to cut, then I used a long handle flathead and a hammer to knock out the rest of the nut It took about 2.5 hours for the first bolt, and once I got the hang of it got it down to 20 mins for the last bolt.

the reviews of the Rancho RS5000x are definitively true, they do ride great and are much better than the blown RE shocks that were on the Jeep originally, I was pretty worried that they were going to be too soft, but they are pretty controlled and definitively decreased body roll and minor road bumps. I'm pretty excited to see how they are going to hold up, especially in the paint department, I resprayed and cleared the steering stabilizer but the not the shocks so I want to see if they rust irregularly quickly

Reactions: bobthetj03 and JMT
Nothing much today, I've expended most of my current parts supply, and had some school work, but on my break I went and started trying to get a solution to a front license plate, I previously made a sheet aluminum bracket to raise the plate on the front of the oem bumper, and I used that as a base. I haven't gotten my UCF bumper yet, but I figured I should be able to use the new fairlead as enough of a template. Then it was as simple as trace with a pick, and cut with tin snips and a dremel. It just needs to be prepped and painted.

IMG_0884.jpeg

IMG_0879.jpeg

IMG_0880.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg

IMG_0882.jpeg

My radio also got here a few days ago, my dad ordered a two pack for a few trips we have planned over the spring and summer. Baofeng GM-15 pro, I'm just going to keep it on the Ram mount I use for my phone, and toss it in the glove box when I'm not using the radio

IMG_0885.jpeg

IMG_0886.jpeg

Reactions: bobthetj03
I've heard of people having to wait up to 5 weeks for UCF products, so I decided that after 11 days I should email, just to make sure my package didn't get forgotten. Matt from UCF replied in just over 2 hours, so at least I know that i should be getting it in another week or so depending on shipping, I'm not too crazy about it though, as I wont be able to paint it, with the snow we have been getting the last week.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 3.50.54 PM.png

UCF printed the shipping label today, no word on estimated delivery date yet.

Also pulled the half doors out of the basement. they are definitely not the same green. they will be color matched in the future, but I want to be able to run them now and not have it look super terrible so I'm just going to plastidip them matte black, and next summer or so I will get them painted tank green. I put a offer in on eBay for a set of black uppers, so I should have everything done within a week or so

The inner door panels will be stripped and repainted black, Probably SEM, But I might just do cheap black Rustolem and if it looks like crap I'll redo it, That is the least of my concerns at the current moment.

Re-did the alignment today, still not perfect, I have a bit too much toe-in on the passenger wheel, but I don't know how to adjust the passenger wheel without changing the drag link, and by extension the steering wheel getting crooked. It's not terrible, but more than I think there should be.

Reactions: FarFire70
:ROFLMAO: Yup - That is not the same green....

They'll look good in black. Enjoy them!

I will enjoy them, I liked them for the 2 weeks I ran them on the old one.

They matched my 98, whoever had them before had scratched the hell out of them, and very poorly painted them silver. I spent like a week stripping the silver paint, and getting them back to their current green. I ran them for about 2 weeks, took them off for the winter, and then my 98' got hit, but I kept the doors, so I gotta repaint them again lol.

Shocker, Plastidip doesn't look that good, I'm not too upset, its only gonna be on for a few months so it doesn't need to look perfect, it comes out better looking on camera, but there is visible striping, and lots of debris-ish stuff in the paint. one of the doors is assembled besides the inner panels, and one is painted but still in pieces.

I definitely like the black better though. Also, I got a delivery date for my bumper, should be here on Tuesday, so I will most likely be able to get it painted and installed for a trip I have planned next Friday

IMG_0931.jpeg

IMG_0932.jpeg

I need professional help, I removing the current bumper, however the bottom bolts refuse to budge, the tops came out without any trouble. Ive been soaking them in PB-blaster all day, tried the breaker bar, breaker bar with a 5-foot pipe over the handle for leverage, and an pneumatic impact. the heads are starting to round off a little, so I stopped before I did anymore damage. If anybody has any recommendations that would be stellar.

IMG_0023.jpeg

I need professional help, I removing the current bumper, however the bottom bolts refuse to budge, the tops came out without any trouble. Ive been soaking them in PB-blaster all day, tried the breaker bar, breaker bar with a 5-foot pipe over the handle for leverage, and an pneumatic impact. the heads are starting to round off a little, so I stopped before I did anymore damage. If anybody has any recommendations that would be stellar.

View attachment 514387

Heat. Do you have a torch?

Bumper is off, Frame was wire brushed and painted, and the parts have been weighed, UCF bumper should be arriving tomorrow, so I'm going off of the advertised weight.

Smitty Bumper with winch/fairlead : 110.8lb
Winch only : 49.9lb
Smitty bumper only : 59.2lb
UCF alum bumper : 7lb (advertised)
UCF steel winch plate : 23lb (advertised)
Tactic fairlead : 1.70lb
Cheap amazon alum fairlead : 1.27lb

Hypothetical new bumper weight of 81.6lb
(not including Hella 500s 2x, OEM tow hooks, Or fog light brackets that will be homemade Savvy BPM-LM's)

Overall looking at about 25-30lb weight loss, which is fine enough for me.

IMG_0034.jpeg

IMG_0039.jpeg

IMG_0040.jpeg

IMG_0045.jpeg

IMG_0043.jpeg

IMG_0051.jpeg

IMG_0050.jpeg

Bumper is off, Frame was wire brushed and painted, and the parts have been weighed, UCF bumper should be arriving tomorrow, so I'm going off of the advertised weight.

Smitty Bumper with winch/fairlead : 110.8lb
Winch only : 49.9lb
Smitty bumper only : 59.2lb
UCF alum bumper : 7lb (advertised)
UCF steel winch plate : 23lb (advertised)
Tactic fairlead : 1.70lb
Cheap amazon alum fairlead : 1.27lb

Hypothetical new bumper weight of 81.6lb
(not including Hella 500s 2x, OEM tow hooks, Or fog light brackets that will be homemade Savvy BPM-LM's)

Overall looking at about 25-30lb weight loss, which is fine enough for me.

View attachment 514526

View attachment 514528

View attachment 514532

View attachment 514534

View attachment 514536

View attachment 514539

View attachment 514540

Great work doing the due diligence to clean it up and painting while you're in there! Enjoy the weight savings and refreshed look.