Key won't turn in ignition

Bird Dog

TJ Enthusiast
So my jeep stranded me for two hours after deer hunting this morning. I put my key in the ignition and it would not turn. After two hours of praying, removing the shroud, and trying to remove the lock cylinder (to no avail), the key finally turned and allowed me to crank it and return home. Once I parked it and turned it to the off position it will not turn again. I looked it up in the service manual (didn’t have a copy on my phone) and it says the key must be in the run position to allow it to be removed. The local NAPA dealer has a key cylinder in stock but it needs the tumblers added by someone else other than NAPA. Any suggestions? I need to get the old key out first but I saw from searching old threads here that it could be started with a screwdriver after the cylinder was removed. Any recommendations would be appreciated, specifically how to get the cylinder out if the key won’t turn it. It is a manual transmission and the key doesn’t have a chip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update, now that I got it home. Shroud screws are Phillips not Torx. Key cylinder only can removed (without damage) with key turned to the “on” position. Pressing both tumbler pins on the outside collar down simultaneously allows the key to be rotated to the run position. A screwdriver (on my 01) will not turn the cylinder without the key in. Dorman makes a cylinder “kit” that allows you to set the tumblers and use your original key if you want, or use the keys that come with it. I hope this helps someone in need.

Reactions: Thunderhead
maybe too late but aaa in florida has a $150 locksmith service beefit with premier membership. they haave made computer chip keys for my dodge if I supplied the blank as they don't carry them

Fortunately mine doesn’t have the chip so it was purely a mechanical issue with worn tumblers. It wasn’t a hard fix once I was in the driveway and not in the woods.

are you sure the steering wheel lock is not doing it? try moving the steering wheel to the left or right while turning the key, might have to pull hard if it is not moving.

Mine doesn’t have the steering wheel lock mechanism either (or it just doesn’t work). After I replaced the lock cylinder the key wouldn’t turn in the old lock cylinder even with it removed. The new one works perfectly. I am going to do an autopsy on the old one and I suspect it is a worn or broken tumbler.

Reactions: KCsTJ and ac_
I had the same issue. I bought the same cylinder you are talking about, so I could keep the same key since it works the console, glove box, and doors. It was a couple of hours getting the new tumblers in, but in my defense I was doing it in my garage in about 115 degrees last summer, but haven't had a problem since. Also my steering wheel lock works about 50 percent of the time.

Reactions: Blondie70
Yeah I decided to use the keys that came with the lock set since I was having trouble getting the old cylinder apart. When I get a chance I may match up the tumblers from the old to the new, but having separate keys for the doors and ignition is something I can live with. Its like the old days when 2 keys were the standard.

Reactions: ac_
Yeah I decided to use the keys that came with the lock set since I was having trouble getting the old cylinder apart. When I get a chance I may match up the tumblers from the old to the new, but having separate keys for the doors and ignition is something I can live with. Its like the old days when 2 keys were the standard.

Fair enough

Sounds like yours was in worse shape than mine. Mine got stuck twice before I figured out that something was up with it. because it would work everytime but then out of the blue it would get jammed. Both times, I was able to mess with it and get it to work. So it wasn't an emergency by the time I changed it, but never had an issue since.

Update, now that I got it home. Shroud screws are Phillips not Torx. Key cylinder only can removed (without damage) with key turned to the “on” position. Pressing both tumbler pins on the outside collar down simultaneously allows the key to be rotated to the run position. A screwdriver (on my 01) will not turn the cylinder without the key in. Dorman makes a cylinder “kit” that allows you to set the tumblers and use your original key if you want, or use the keys that come with it. I hope this helps someone in need.

Hate to bump an old thread. But I'm currently experiencing the same problem. What are these "tumbler pins on the collar"? I know of the one tab on the bottim that works to pop it out when the key is in the On position. But like you, I can't get it to the On position.

If there's anyway I can pop it out without calling a locksmith, that would be ideal.

Hate to bump an old thread. But I'm currently experiencing the same problem. What are these "tumbler pins on the collar"? I know of the one tab on the bottim that works to pop it out when the key is in the On position. But like you, I can't get it to the On position.

If there's anyway I can pop it out without calling a locksmith, that would be ideal.

Reactions: Fireman194
They are 2 small spring loaded pins that extend down from the main collar toward the cylinder. If you pry both pins back into the collar it will allow the mechanism to turn. If I can find the old one I will post a picture.

Reactions: Fireman194
I am literally waiting for AAA to come get me. Are you talking about those two tiny spring pins just under the outside lip of the cylinder collar near the key??

Did you try to hit your key with a mallet couple of time? I had that problem, and couple of strong hit, the key would turn, I changed my tumbler and key after couple of weeks though, starting the tj with a mallet was getting old.

THIS

Yes. Those are the ones. If you can pry them both down down (a knife works) toward the cylinder “guts” it will turn. Hope this helped in time.

2E05D7EE-E1B3-448B-B37B-EBBF6A96DC6A.jpeg

Can you post the link for the replacement cylinder you used? Found one on Amazon. Just wanted to check. My 01 has finally locked up completely. Can't turn key at all. I think a few days of below avg temps may have contributed. Thanks.

Can you post the link for the replacement cylinder you used? Found one on Amazon. Just wanted to check. My 01 has finally locked up completely. Can't turn key at all. I think a few days of below avg temps may have contributed. Thanks.

Have you used the "hammer trick" on it to get it to turn in the mean time? If not you can google it to find a video but you put the key in the cylinder, give the back of the key a hit toward the cylinder and it might just free it up for you.

Reactions: JW-RGV
Thanks, will give it a try. It has been working and intermittently getting stuck. I've been able to get it turned over after messing with it for a few minutes. Yesterday, it took quite awhile to finally get it to turn. This morning, wouldn't turn at all. Luckily it is in the garage currently. Don't want to risk getting stuck somewhere for longer than a few minutes.

Have you used the "hammer trick" on it to get it to turn in the mean time? If not you can google it to find a video but you put the key in the cylinder, give the back of the key a hit toward the cylinder and it might just free it up for you.