Kids car seat question

Blackthorne

I just bought an 02 Wrangler X. Absolutely in love with it :) I’ve seen a few threads here and there about the rear seat belts. I will infrequently have my kids in the rear (dads toy haha), and one is in a rear facing seat. There is no LATCH system in this model. The hooks on this car seat don’t reach the bolted on points I could use.

Is there any solution other than replacing the belts? I’m all for installing “locking” seatbelts, the ones that catch when pulled all the way out. Might be infrequent, but hey, my spawn is my spawn :p

Any help is immensely appreciated!

on my 99, the buckle cinches down on the belt when you pull the lap belt tight. That's how I secured my kids car seats without a LATCH system or a locking belt.

Now that my 4 year old just moved into a booster that uses the vehicle seat belt, now I'm a little more concerned because the shoulder belt doesn't seem to lock at all. The manual says they should, so maybe there's an inertial component to triggering them as well as just yanking as fast as I can.

Last edited:
I have an 01 and used a car seat attached via the latch points. Not sure why yours would not have or reach it but you might be able to find a longer strap that will work. Alternatively, you can also use a locking clip on the seatbelt to keep the seat cinched.

When I was a kid, we rode on mom's lap until we were big enough, then they tossed us in the back and we stood up to look out the front window, or wrestled each other in the back seat.

My kids rode around in "safety seats" that wouldn't pass today's standards, but had 5 point harnesses. We had to stop all the time to let them out on longer trips.

It's amazing the differences 20-30 years here and there can make in what's considered safe. Now the car brakes for the driver or steers them back into their lane so they don't hit something while texting. :oops:

Congrats on your new Jeep Wrangler X, it's great to hear you're enjoying it so far. I can definitely understand your concerns regarding the rear seat belts. While I don't have any specific solutions for your specific make and model, I have seen locking seat belts mentioned as a solution for similar issues in other vehicles. As a fellow foster parent, I know how important it is to prioritize the kids' safety in our care. That's why I want to mention that foster parenting is about ensuring our foster kids are always secure and protected. Have you considered contacting a local mechanic or auto parts store for advice? They might have some creative solutions to suggest. Best of luck, and keep us posted on what you do!

welcome to the forum. this thread is over 3 years old so your congrats is just a little bit late 😂

spend a little bit of time familiarizing yourself with the forum. the search feature is on the top right.

Reactions: rasband