Kitchen Remodel

More progress...kinda! The builders are done for the time being, while we wait for countertops to be installed, paint to go on, and tile to be installed. One of the things that drives me absolutely bonkers about new construction is the complete lack of creativity and imagination when it comes to trim. Its either modern or colonial...and they do EVERYTHING in one of those two styles. Window and door casings, baseboards, everything. Yawn...so boring. Since we've been in our house, each time we've done a room, I've installed better trim. Nothing super fancy, mind you. Just some built up stuff from commonly available pieces at your local big box. All my doors and windows are trimmed out like this.

ch-pG3iK6QlaXNxET85u20dug=w1204-h902-no?authuser=0.jpg

2SGpvkCeTU-8OlH2QblB3_QRQ=w1204-h902-no?authuser=0.jpg

Its very simple. Its a 1x4 base, with a 1 x 2 lower part and a piece of bed mold at the top as a "crown" To finish the top off, I used a 1.5" wide piece of screen mold. It takes a little bit of time to miter all the returns, but I think the results speak for themselves. Here is the rub...its all been finished to match our old kitchen. So...it all needs to be painted or otherwise refinished (I hate the thought of painting all that clear pine $$). Now, my wife is a pretty accomplished furniture refinisher. She does the faux finishes, can repair broken pieces, etc. If the piece is worth it, she has sanded pieces down and re-applied stain and poly. When it came time to pick paint and trim colors, and how we wanted to finish that stuff off...Holy smokes! That kind of work is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. We decided we would do that ourselves. So, we're sanding all the old stuff and she's applying a psuedo-stain, poly combination. Here is a window she's already done.

gJeIsrMTVLcolNFmQvxeNWNEA=w1204-h902-no?authuser=0.jpg

We're also doing the floors. We wanted to keep the existing flooring. It wasn't old / dated and its still in really good shape. So, we found some that matched (a feat in and of itself) and I wanted to have the builder's "tile guy" install it. When he came back with a quote of 3 thousand dollars (for just over a 100 sq ft!) I said, No effing way!" I already had the material too! His reasoning was that it was going to be a pain in the ass to cut the old tile out and knit in the new. I decided that I could put a week or so's worth of work into my kitchen and do the floor. That money will go a LONG way toward some new jeep parts, LOL.

Last weekend was demo day. Had to remove the cut tiles that ended where walls and carpet used to be. Then I laid some new cement board. I'm working through the process of leveling the old and new currently.

U6tgK9aabfUKxjINwij0axjWg=w1204-h902-no?authuser=0.jpg

All the cement looking stuff (it's a darker gray) is where there are joints or low spots where the old tile pulled some of the durock away when it was removed. I have a couple more low spots to fill...but I'm waiting for it to fully cure before I do so. This stuff shrinks slightly as it cures and I don't want to rush it and create voids. The countertop guys need access to the subfloor anyway, so no real hurry. Big shoutout to @AndyG here. He's helped me along the way with some questions I had about tieing in the old and new. I'd say if you're in his area and need work done...He's your guy.

Speaking of countertops, they are being installed in three days. Painters are coming in two days to start the ceiling. Getting close. Having the counters in will be a big step toward seeing the final product.

What is it about contractors and flooring? The paint and flooring quote for our expanded bedroom was $10K!!! I'll lay the floor myself, and I might even do the painting although "I know a guy"...

Reactions: Mike_H
What is it about contractors and flooring? The paint and flooring quote for our expanded bedroom was $10K!!! I'll lay the floor myself, and I might even do the painting although "I know a guy"...
We subbed our own paint guy too. One time, we were looking at a foreclosure. It was a HUGE house on something like 8 acres in a very desirable zip code. We were pretty serious about it at the time, so we had a builder come through (different than the one were using now...it was before we had met our current guy). We had him look at the house with us and work up a budgetary number. It needed some foundation repair, all new windows, a new roof, etc. he quoted 100k. Not terrible, considering the size of the house and the amount of work involved...however...20% of the quote was paint. Yes...20,000 dollars for PAINT!

We subbed our own paint guy too. One time, we were looking at a foreclosure. It was a HUGE house on something like 8 acres in a very desirable zip code. We were pretty serious about it at the time, so we had a builder come through (different than the one were using now...it was before we had met our current guy). We had him look at the house with us and work up a budgetary number. It needed some foundation repair, all new windows, a new roof, etc. he quoted 100k. Not terrible, considering the size of the house and the amount of work involved...however...20% of the quote was paint. Yes...20,000 dollars for PAINT!
This is literally a 150-ish sq foot expansion. The new outside will need paint, the entire MBR ceiling will need paint, we're probably going to keep the existing wall colors so only the new portions will need paint (but it wouldn't be a BFD if it were the entire room - its about a 2 gallon space!), and flooring - probably laminate - needs to go down. I hate painting, but the job is so small that I'll probably do it anyway, and I can lay laminate all day long. $10K quoted by the contractor.

I'm also doing a chickenshit hose bib extension that will be under the slab of the new screen room that we're also doing. I forget what the contractor wanted to do it for - it wasn't unreasonable - but with all the delays that we're dealing with, I figured I'd just go ahead and do it myself. So easy even a Belly Dancer can do it. Contractor told me where to stub it up at, so tomorrow it'll go in - dug the trench today. Finding a new hose bib that wasn't "Hecho en China" is a bit of a challenge...

Floor is still not done...but paint is. We had a minor set-back with our countertops. They used the wrong sink to cut the holes...and ruined one of our slabs we picked out. I don't know how they did it...they specifically had to wait for the sink to come in (special order) before they could cut and install counters...and they still screwed it up. Thankfully, the supply house had another slab of the quartz we picked...it has been discontinued.

But the island countertop is in and the paint is on the wall.

5s-eyY1q3MKRYALhB8dccdjsQ=w1204-h902-no?authuser=0.jpg

ONXkm39iXAS6tYdQe6KFZFQmA=w1204-h902-no?authuser=0.jpg

Some flooring experimentation and a nice pic of the island.

aTEWkXTyQX6XXObPreJEtmN8w=w1204-h902-no?authuser=0.jpg

The flooring is something we installed 10'ish year ago. Trying to find a match was TOUGH. Its long since discontinued, but we found something close. We had to buy 2x as much as we needed and sort it out, but the picture about is about half new and half old. I can tell, but most people won't. Note to the smart-asses (haha) the line you see in the pic is not new to old...its damp from wiping the dust off the existing tile.

We replaced all the bathroom mirrors in a condo we had years back. Made to order, blah, blah - specifically ordered beveled edges. You guessed it, they showed up without being beveled. Worse, they said they couldn't just bevel them, they had to re-order and start all over.

We replaced all the bathroom mirrors in a condo we had years back. Made to order, blah, blah - specifically ordered beveled edges. You guessed it, they showed up without being beveled. Worse, they said they couldn't just bevel them, they had to re-order and start all over.
That sucks. I get that mistakes happen...face it all the time at work. I just don't like it when they happen TO ME, lol. They are jumping through hoops for us...they screwed up last Thursday and tomorrow, they should have the replacement countertop in (with the correct sink).

Another update. The end is close! Thanksgiving weekend, I did the floor. Today, the tile guys came and installed the backsplash. Tomorrow they will grout. Need the electricians back to finish that, so I can install my appliances, need my railing spindles (in process at the welders) and I the final cabinet installation (toe kicks and backer panels)
IMG_20211202_172638343.jpg
IMG_20211202_172648553.jpg
IMG_20211202_172658998.jpg
IMG_20211202_172802403.jpg

Another update. The end is close! Thanksgiving weekend, I did the floor. Today, the tile guys came and installed the backsplash. Tomorrow they will grout. Need the electricians back to finish that, so I can install my appliances, need my railing spindles (in process at the welders) and I the final cabinet installation (toe kicks and backer panels)View attachment 293877View attachment 293878View attachment 293879View attachment 293880
This is really great, I have been showing my wife your stairs as an example of how I want to finish the bottom 3 of ours. I know this is an odd request, but could you toss in a few more pictures of the bottom few stairs into the beautiful kitchen?

Looking great - I love the redesign; it takes nice components from contemporary and classic designs that compliment each other well. The finished product should be something that makes everyone happy for a long time and have good functionality in day to day use.

Maybe it's just me, but anything remodeled in the 90's is just awful (I'm currently working on "de-90'ing" my 1960 built, but 1994 remodeled ranch now!). It seems that if you were designing things in the 90's, you were required to take at least two major design elements from at least three previous periods and styles, replace at least one of those elements with the most modern, but cheapest equivalent (e.g. Formica!), top it all off with 3 fistfulls of cocaine, and then finally shit out something with peach paint.
Definitely not disagreeing with you (the 90’s could be bad) but the 80’s sure give them a run for their money.😀

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p
95%. All the lights are in, appliances are in. We're waiting on replacement parts from the cabinet company, including the back panel of the island. It's nice to have a functional kitchen again... But I don't know where anything is anymore!
IMG_20211209_060419157_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211209_060437000_HDR.jpg

And the linear pendant. I really like this fixture. It has an intimate, old fashioned feel (when it's on) compared to the LED lighting. It has a mica shade, and we have the "antique” LED bulbs. Hard to get a picture of the light quality and color.

IMG_20211209_063258203.jpg
IMG_20211209_063311538.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome! I like the triple layer cabinetry to the left of the fridge. You really have to take a hike to get around that island!

Looks great. I know all too well the pains of a kitchen remodel while you live in the house. It's the absolute worst! Doing dishes in the tub. Waiting forever for countertops and fixtures. Contractors not showing up for weeks while your house is in absolute shambles. With all that said, it's worth all of it to get these results

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1452.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Mike_H and Irun
Not my kind of kitchen at all - but I *do* like the fact that you don't have one of those STUPID space wasting stand alone range hoods. But where's the microwave?

You had the smarts to pick a timeless classic look. It will never get old. Job well done! :love: