Knocking coming from rear end?

Roadhand01

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My tj has developed a "knock, knock, knock" I hear at low speeds. 2000 Sahara with Dana 44
It seems to be coming from the rear end. I don't hear it all the time but at low speeds, just easing along in 3rd gear or so, I can hear it. Differential is full. No leaks at the wheel seals. Ujoints are fine.
I'm sure the "knocking" is continuing at higher speeds, it's just that I can't hear it.
My daily driver. Any thoughts?

I had the same issue months back. I chased it for a long time and would hear it at low speeds and especially while turning left. It ended up being the clutch packs in the LSD were bad. I ended up just swapping out the whole unit itself instead of just replacing the clutch packs. It was a little more expensive replacing the whole LSD but it saved a huge headache by trying to get all the clutch packs stacked together properly and installed correctly. It was an easy swap out because I used a Spicer unit, which is what came from factory.

06456063-8590-4BE3-AAF4-F28C9933D377.jpeg

I bought it from Summit Racing but it looks like the price has gone up by almost $100 since I bought mine 6 months ago.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I had the same issue months back. I chased it for a long time and would hear it at low speeds and especially while turning left. It ended up being the clutch packs in the LSD were bad. I ended up just swapping out the whole unit itself instead of just replacing the clutch packs. It was a little more expensive replacing the whole LSD but it saved a huge headache by trying to get all the clutch packs stacked together properly and installed correctly. It was an easy swap out because I used a Spicer unit, which is what came from factory.

View attachment 335081

I bought it from Summit Racing but it looks like the price has gone up by almost $100 since I bought mine 6 months ago.

Wait... So you replaced the entire carrier? Did you set the gear backlash or just bolt in and go?

It wasn’t too bad but I had the pleasure of doing it at my buddies house who is a CJD master mechanic and has all the tools and know-how. Like mentioned above, checking and resetting (if needed) the backlash once the unit is installed is one of the most important processes. I suggest if you are looking to replace the whole LSD, do plenty of research on the process.