Knocking noise coming from engine

Jep77

I'm new owning a jeep tj...it's a 98 with 180000 miles on it...works good other than the minor stuff everyone has problems with...today I went to store left it running and came out and went to drive home and there was a knocking on engine or which seemed to be...as I accelerated it got worse ...stopped put in 4 high went away ...any ideas?

Put it four high( meaning 4wd?) and it went away? Front drive shaft u joints or front axle joints.
I'm going to predict it's the u joint on the front drive shaft closest to the transfercase.

Last edited:
I'm new owning a jeep tj...it's a 98 with 180000 miles on it...works good other than the minor stuff everyone has problems with...today I went to store left it running and came out and went to drive home and there was a knocking on engine or which seemed to be...as I accelerated it got worse ...stopped put in 4 high went away ...any ideas?

So, the knocking was there before you put it in gear? If the frequency varied with rpm, you could rule out the ujoints. If engine related,
any change in oil pressure? Rod knock doesn't usually come on instantly. Engine mounts maybe? Needs more diagnostic.

Like Dock-Rocker said, it could be worn bushings on the transfer case linkage. I had same symptoms and ordered the Crown Automotive kit which took care of the noise. I only had to change the main brass bushing which was worn and causing the rattle.
Linkage Kit