Knocking Sound Then Died

william_m_molnar

So I’m just gonna get into this from the start I own a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Tj 4.0 With A 5 Speed Manual It’s A 2 Owner Me Being the second owner I bought it with 181,000 miles it currently has 193,000 it has always had a tapping sound from in between the motor and transmission we always assumed it was the flywheel because the clutch had just been replaced when I bought it and I think the guy got scared with the tap and sold it. I of course being a high school kid 2 years into ownership I had a small few holes in the muffler so I decided to cut the exhaust off and was gonna buy a new catback so I cut in 3 places behind the muffler in front of the muffler and before the 3rd catalytic converter. The day after I did this I was at a friends house and when I started my Jeep I accidentally had my foot on the gas and it revved to about 1500rpm (car was still hot when I did this) but after it developed a knock but way louder in the same place as the original tap. I think the flywheel may have gone out mechanic thinks it’s a coincidence and my fuel pump just went out or I nicked a wire when cutting. What are you guys thoughts others are telling me I blew my motor just wanted to find out.

The videos attached are before the knock began with just the tap and the other being after when it was knocking bad

Attachments

• IMG_6565.MOV
    1.8 MB
Does it change when you press in the clutch?

Is it missing or throwing any codes?

Have you drained the oil and looked for metal?

Just trying to give you some things to think about

It does not change when I push the clutch but does get louder (currently when I try to start it sounds like the starter isn’t grabbing anything but just freespinning and will not start)

throwing a o2 sensor getting hot too quickly code

when I drained the oil and changed it the day after it started knocking I didn’t see any noticable in the oil but it was dark after only 3-4K miles

Mine is an automatic but, I did have a slight ticking noise before I replaced the exhaust manifold. they are known to crack and mine did have a crack. Also my Cat would rattle before it was replaced. I have replaced all front to back on exhaust/cat. I imagine it would have been quite loud if the exhaust was completely off.

That being said do you have fuel pressure? 49 PSI is typical +- 2
Crankshaft Position Sensor will keep it from starting if that's hosed?

Easy Test for that Per Jerry B. "Does the tachometer needle rise up any while cranking the engine? If it does not you could have a bad crankshaft position sensor or wiring leading to it, that is what drives the tachometer."

Mine is an automatic but, I did have a slight ticking noise before I replaced the exhaust manifold. they are known to crack and mine did have a crack. Also my Cat would rattle before it was replaced. I have replaced all front to back on exhaust/cat. I imagine it would have been quite loud if the exhaust was completely off.

That being said do you have fuel pressure? 49 PSI is typical +- 2
Crankshaft Position Sensor will keep it from starting if that's hosed?

Easy Test for that Per Jerry B. "Does the tachometer needle rise up any while cranking the engine? If it does not you could have a bad crankshaft position sensor or wiring leading to it, that is what drives the tachometer."

My mechanics testing the fuel pump and no the tach isn’t moving but he has tested a new crank position sensor and it wasn’t that

Just a little update

Mechanic checked the fuel pump (not the problem)
Checked to see if the catalytic converters had twisted themselves (not the problem)
Next things being tested tomorrow is the flywheel (by pulling the starter) and if it’s not that we’re gonna pull the valve cover

Reactions: AndyG
Mechanics got it in the bay at the shop finally he’s checked fuel pump and checked the fuel lines for clogs nothing yet it will start for seconds at a time but will not stay running has anyone else had this issue my step dad thinks it’s the injectors or the fuel rail I think it’s something air related

Just incase anyone was wondering I had it towed to my house because I was tired of waiting it’s got a blown motor so I’m getting one from a 98 fuck it we ball is all I have to say