Knocking/Ticking

NCLJ

2006, 150K miles.

I changed the starter about 3 weeks ago, test fired and let it sit until last weekend.

Went to take it for an inspection, ran fine until it was time to get out on the main road and it spit and shuddered. Couldn't put enough miles on it for the computer to reset to get the inspection so brought it home and parked it. When we got home I noticed a tick/knock coming from under the hood, but could also hear something along the lines of a backfire in the exhaust under the Jeep.

Anywho, FF to today, installed new plugs and rail. Noise is still there, and I don't know what to look for next. I did put the old starter back on just to eliminate any kind of electrical issue.

Hopefully you can hear it in the vid.

2006, 150K miles.

I changed the starter about 3 weeks ago, test fired and let it sit until last weekend.

Went to take it for an inspection, ran fine until it was time to get out on the main road and it spit and shuddered. Couldn't put enough miles on it for the computer to reset to get the inspection so brought it home and parked it. When we got home I noticed a tick/knock coming from under the hood, but could also hear something along the lines of a backfire in the exhaust under the Jeep.

Anywho, FF to today, installed new plugs and rail. Noise is still there, and I don't know what to look for next. I did put the old starter back on just to eliminate any kind of electrical issue.

Hopefully you can hear it in the vid.

Slip the belt off and start it

When the Jeep is running; listen at the exhaust for a popping sound.
This could be signs of a valve train problem; partially collapsed lifter or loose rocker arm.
The back fire could indicate a timing problem or a valve train problem.
IF you determine the sound is a valve train issue; suggest removing the valve cover for further diagnosing.
Further troubleshooting will be required.

I will take the belt off and try that.

Just went out and put my hand on the OPDA, not it.

At first startup it’s not running great. You can definitely hear backfire in the exhaust. Constant too, not sporadic.

Took the plugs out to inspect, everything looked fine. Put the old coils back on, no luck. Belt off, still ticking.

Changed the OPDA because why not. Added a Zinc oil additive to see if it would quiet down, no luck. Also seafoamed the oil, gas tank, and vac line.

The "backfiring" has seemed to go away. I did take a stethoscope and tried to find it. Cylinder 6 seems to be louder than anything else. Exhaust sounds ok.

I'm to the point of taking it somewhere as I hate throwing parts and guessing.