Knocking when accelerating

No it wasn't anything huge - since I don't remember it, couldn't have hit the pocketbook to hard. I'll have to go back and see if I can figure it out - if I do I'll let you knoknow
Was it possibly something with the u joints or driveshaft/t case? I am gonna do some more investigating on mine this week. I know my exhaust hits my driveshaft but I don't think that is the noise. It's a little louder when I'm on the gas.

I just bought a 2000 TJ as well, and I'm currently in the process of making it safer to drive (small hole in frame, and two body mounts rotten). I'm having about the same issue as described here. Some kind of solid knocking sound from the front end when engine is under load, or revving in neutral. I'm going to have a buddy see if he can get it to do it while i'm in there listening and report what I find.

Remember the days before internet? when you drove a Vehicle until it burnt so much oil and spewed so much smoke out of the tail pipe it was embarrassing or the big ends started knocking and you left it knocking till it seized, ah them were the days :)

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
Confirmed, it's the transfer case shift lever knocking. Doesn't look like it will be TOO bad to swap out. I saw that theres a cable option available for this, but $160? Woof...

Confirmed, it's the transfer case shift lever knocking. Doesn't look like it will be TOO bad to swap out. I saw that theres a cable option available for this, but $160? Woof...
It’s $$$ but if you ever do a BL, you’re gonna need it, plus you never have to adjust it again. The stock one is a horrible design.

I just had this same issue and found that it was a part of the transfer case linkage tapping on the underside of the driver floor due to a bad bushing. This is a very common issue with these TJs due to the crappy Z-bar design. A pretty simple fix if you want to go that route, but I'm gonna pull out the whole linkage and switch to a cable linkage instead since I was already having issues getting into 4-low. Hope this helps!

Last edited: