Knot in synthetic winch rope

billyp

TJ Enthusiast
We had a snow storm here in CO and I was pulling out a neighbor’s friend who went off the driveway into the yard. Somehow got a knot in my brand new winch rope.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I know it lowers the breaking point of the rope. Just wonder if it’s enough to make a difference for most pulls.

Should I attempt to remove the knot? Seems like that might do more harm than good.

We had a snow storm here in CO and I was pulling out a neighbor’s friend who went off the driveway into the yard. Somehow got a knot in my brand new winch rope.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I know it lowers the breaking point of the rope. Just wonder if it’s enough to make a difference for most pulls.

Should I attempt to remove the knot? Seems like that might do more harm than good.

The only guarantee you now have is the exact spot that the line will break if you leave the knot there. There are some tips I've seen about removing them on YouTube, see if that helps. If it is one of mine, I'll certainly help you into another one if that one can't be fixed.

No wasn’t one of your lines. Not sure how to quantify how hard the pull was. Honda CRV on slippery snowy ground.

Didn’t find much on YouTube. One thing I did see what to take a rubber mallet and block of wood to loosen the knot. Not sure if that will damage the rope or not.

I can try a couple awls tomorrow.

No wasn’t one of your lines. Not sure how to quantify how hard the pull was. Honda CRV on slippery snowy ground.

Didn’t find much on YouTube. One thing I did see what to take a rubber mallet and block of wood to loosen the knot. Not sure if that will damage the rope or not.

I can try a couple awls tomorrow.

If you can't get it out, may be a good idea to cut it and then do a buried tail end for end splice with a couple of lock stitches until you can load it hard enough to set the splice.

As long as you stick with tools that ar not sharp you can work the line pretty hard without hurting it. A marlin spike is probably the best thing to use along with some patience. If that doesn’t work follow Blaine’s suggestion and do an end splice.

Reactions: B1Toad
If you can't get it out, may be a good idea to cut it and then do a buried tail end for end splice with a couple of lock stitches until you can load it hard enough to set the splice.

This. A knot like that cuts the strength roughly in half. Possibly worse all the data I've seen is on intentional connections.

When I was in the Coast Guard we used 1/2" to 6" diameter DBN rope for mooring and towing lines.

I would splice up to a 4" diameter DBN rope but when you get to the 5-6" diameters, it is pretty challenging and nearly impossible on used rope.

We towed a 250' freighter once in the Carribean. I used a 1" diameter 60' long wire bridle and a 6" diameter 1200' DBN towline.

Now I wish I had taken pictures, it was not newsworthy back then like it is now.