L33 swap advice

Mcswain03

My 97 2.5l 5speed tj is completely stock. I would like to swap a v8 into probably around the end of the year. The Jeep is very sentimental to me so “sell it and get myself a 6cyl” is not my plan. I have decided I want to swap an l33 into it. I plan I getting a whole donor car to make things a little easier. I believe I have the very base model wrangler with the 2.5l, ax-5 trans,nv231 transfer case,Dana 30 and 35 axels and 4.10/4.11. I’m not 100% on those specs but possibly. If I can not find a manual transmission donor car would the ax-5 be okay or possibly an ax-15? Also I plan on adding a 4” lift with 32” or 33” tires in the future as well. Are the Dana 30/35 able to handle the l33? If so I will swap in some 4.88 gears. Any advice or any other input would be greatly appreciated!!

My 97 2.5l 5speed tj is completely stock. I would like to swap a v8 into probably around the end of the year. The Jeep is very sentimental to me so “sell it and get myself a 6cyl” is not my plan. I have decided I want to swap an l33 into it. I plan I getting a whole donor car to make things a little easier. I believe I have the very base model wrangler with the 2.5l, ax-5 trans,nv231 transfer case,Dana 30 and 35 axels and 4.10/4.11. I’m not 100% on those specs but possibly. If I can not find a manual transmission donor car would the ax-5 be okay or possibly an ax-15? Also I plan on adding a 4” lift with 32” or 33” tires in the future as well. Are the Dana 30/35 able to handle the l33? If so I will swap in some 4.88 gears. Any advice or any other input would be greatly appreciated!!
The ax5 would most certainly die a horrible death under V8 power. The AX15 however is more than stout enough for a V8.

Dana 30 will be fine, you could always upgrade that shafts as an insurance for the trail but on the road they aren’t under direct load like the rear. You would have to be slamming it pretty hard to break a shaft on the trail.

The Dana 35 in its stock form won’t last long with a V8. But, it can be upgraded to a Super 35. This replaces the 27 spline shafts with 30 spine shafts, and said shafts will actually be slightly stronger than stock Dana 44 shafts. Revolution gears and axle shafts are widely recommended around here, but there are several brands that are just as good.

If you plan to regear, that would be a good time to replace the shafts, axle bearings, seals etc. since everything will be apart anyways.

Hope this helps!

*EDIT*
I also wouldn’t recommend 4.88 gears with a 32-33” tire. Under normal 4.0 circumstances and the 5 speed, those would be good. But under V8 power you don’t need near as many revs to produce power and torque. With the 5 speed and 33” tires, 3.73 gears would put you at about 2200rpms at 75mph, which is also where my 5.3 runs on my ‘98 2-ton suburban.

Essentially a Jeep is a barn on wheels in terms of aerodynamics, especially when you add things like a 4” lift and have bigger tires to turn. But it’s so light compared to say, my suburban, a V8 would have no issue driving one along at those revs.

Last edited:
The ax5 would most certainly die a horrible death under V8 power. The AX15 however is more than stout enough for a V8.

Dana 30 will be fine, you could always upgrade that shafts as an insurance for the trail but on the road they aren’t under direct load like the rear. You would have to be slamming it pretty hard to break a shaft on the trail.

The Dana 35 in its stock form won’t last long with a V8. But, it can be upgraded to a Super 35. This replaces the 27 spline shafts with 30 spine shafts, and said shafts will actually be slightly stronger than stock Dana 44 shafts. Revolution gears and axle shafts are widely recommended around here, but there are several brands that are just as good.

If you plan to regear, that would be a good time to replace the shafts, axle bearings, seals etc. since everything will be apart anyways.

Hope this helps!

*EDIT*
I also wouldn’t recommend 4.88 gears with a 32-33” tire. Under normal 4.0 circumstances and the 5 speed, those would be good. But under V8 power you don’t need near as many revs to produce power and torque. With the 5 speed and 33” tires, 3.73 gears would put you at about 2200rpms at 75mph, which is also where my 5.3 runs on my ‘98 2-ton suburban.

Essentially a Jeep is a barn on wheels in terms of aerodynamics, especially when you add things like a 4” lift and have bigger tires to turn. But it’s so light compared to say, my suburban, a V8 would have no issue driving one along at those revs.
Love the advice man!! Would the stock clutch hold up okay with the ax15? And are you saying I can leave the 3.73s and change the 4.10 to something else?

Love the advice man!! Would the stock clutch hold up okay with the ax15?
The slave and master cylinder would be fine. I’m not 100% on the AX5 clutch itself, I would just get a new one since you’ll be in there anyways.

And are you saying I can leave the 3.73s and change the 4.10 to something else?
I’m not sure what you’re saying here. Didn’t you say your rig had 4.10/4.11 gears? It sounded like you had already planned to regear which is why I threw out the 3.73 suggestion.

The slave and master cylinder would be fine. I’m not 100% on the AX5 clutch itself, I would just get a new one since you’ll be in there anyways.

I’m not sure what you’re saying here. Didn’t you say your rig had 4.10/4.11 gears? It sounded like you had already planned to regear which is why I threw out the 3.73 suggestion.
Haha you’re right my bad. I’ve never worked on or around the gears before and honestly I had to look up what gears I had. I also am not positive it higher gears are better that’s why I got confused when you said something about 3.73s

Back in the old days throwing in a 350 was a weekend project. The AMC 20 would hold up unless a whole lot of abuse was planned. I think these new GM engines are even easier to do today. Good luck and we want lots of pic's! 👍