Lack of attention to detail .....

CharlesHS

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
After installing the Currie Currectlync Friday I setup an alignment with Firestone for Saturday (I have a lifetime policy) to check and fine tune if need be.
On the way home I was hearing a rattle in the front of the Jeep so I decided I would look at the front end this morning when it was light out side.
This morning while under the Jeep greasing the tierod ends; I found the clamps for the tierod ends at the center point of the drag link and at the drivers steering knuckle could be spun around freely with two fingers.
This is an accident waiting to happen; luckily the threaded section of the tierod end did not come loose from the tierod assembly while I was driving home.
I tightened the clamp bolts and then rechecked all of the other bolts that the alignment technician could have touched.
This morning after Firestone opened I called and talked to the same guy I checked out with yesterday; I explained what I found, what could have occurred IF I had not found this problem and that the alignment technician NEEDS to be talked to about their attention to detail.
While he said that he would have a serious talk with the alignment technician; I am not real confident this will resolve their problem of attention to detail.

I wouldn't go back to that location. It sounds like he didn't really take you seriously. Or at very least, didn't know how to address the issue as a customer service rep.

I wouldn't go back to that location. It sounds like he didn't really take you seriously. Or at very least, didn't know how to address the issue as a customer service rep.
The rep told the customer he would have a serious talk with the tech. What else would you do in the situation? Mistakes happen, guess you’ve never made one.

Mistakes definitely happen. I’m glad you found it before something serious happened. Never hurts to double check other’s work. Trust, but verify.

The only reason I would have called is to find out when the manager and the tech that did my alignment were BOTH going to be there. The rest of the conversation would be in person with pictures as proof.

Not that my goal would be to bust some heads but to see how they handle each other when they find out.

We never really know what or when "a serious talk" would be.

Possibly after work at the bar:

Barmaid, "What'll you guys have?"
Check out guy (manager or not), "I'll have a Lite Beer"
Tech, "Are you serious, Lite Beer?"
Check out guy, "Hell, yeah I'm serious, I'm trying to lose weight!"
Tech, "Whatever, fatass! Barmaid bring me a tall Stout and a dozen hot bbq wings."

The rep told the customer he would have a serious talk with the tech. What else would you do in the situation? Mistakes happen, guess you’ve never made one.
I've made plenty. How about "What can I do that could make things better and retain your business, Sir? Can I get your information for a follow-up"? There was zero interaction in that regard according to the OP.

I've made plenty. How about "What can I do that could make things better and retain your business, Sir? Can I get your information for a follow-up"? There was zero interaction in that regard according to the OP.
Received a phone call from the Manager/Owner of that Firestone location; he asked what he could do to make it right and whether I had returned to have the problem resolved. I informed him that I had taken care of the problem myself.
The manager then asked what he could do to retain my business and make it right; he offered a half dozen FREE oil changes and transmission flushes, but I declined since I do my own oil changes and drive a manual transmission. Then he asked for my address and said that I NEED to provide you with something to show that we want to make this problem right.
The Manager said, the Technician will be spoken to about this problem and retrained; he assured me this would never happen again.
This is a Manager that is taking responsibility for the Technicians mistake and doesn't want to lose my business OR give his shop bad PR. (y)

Last edited: