Leak at fuel tank

Kraken72

Bolt Breaker
Supporting Member
So recently replaced my tank and fuel pressure regulator in my 1998 TJ. Well now I have developed a leak at the tank coming from the top. So dropped the tank checked everything and re-installed. Started it up and it's leaking worse? Can't figure it out? Any ideas?

Define a leak the top.
There are a lot of places that fuel can leak out of. Where does it look like it's originating from?

about a mounts after i replaced the fuel pump on my 97 it began leaking from the top when I filled up the tank… i dropped the tank and found that the fuel pump lock ring was not tight… tightened it up and no leak… that’s really the only place it can leak from the top…

I have dropped the tank 3 times today. Checked the hose, fpr and lock ring. Started it up and still leaking. Ordered new hose and another fpr will update when parts arrive.

I have dropped the tank 3 times today. Checked the hose, fpr and lock ring. Started it up and still leaking. Ordered new hose and another fpr will update when parts arrive.
Clamp off the rubber fuel line, return line and the vent lines and blow air into the fill tube and youll find your leak…

Reactions: Kraken72
I will clamp off the lines and blow air in filler neck to see where the leak is coming from. I also ordered a cheap fuel pressure regulator just to rob the o-rings for the oem one. I think it's the quick disconnect fuel hose. Last time I dropped it I changed the gasket around the fuel pump and carefully threaded and tightened the lock ring. But it still leaks. So it's either the hose or fpr o-rings.

Reactions: 97JadeTJ