Leak near transmission area and oil pan

Jared91

Can someone please help? I don’t mean to sound dumb but there’s this leak coming out from the oil pan and transmission area. I’ve never been really handy but now I’m worried because it looks pretty bad and my Jeep doesn’t accelerate as fast anymore.

96B00658-7672-4966-B8BA-8B5BCD27ED08.jpeg

AE817380-2A47-4DB3-8B37-260741495C01.jpeg

5C27DD5D-165D-4BDC-A070-076CD4868555.jpeg

9551593F-F2CD-4891-9DF6-A3BBC399E995.jpeg

Last edited:
Chances are it's either the rear main seal or the back of the valve cover gasket. Neither of those would cause your engine to make less power. Verify that the leak is engine oil first, or possibly something else. Clean off as much of it as you can with a degreaser then pay attention to where it's coming from when it returns.

Looks like a valve cover gasket. There's a bunch of build up on the side of the engine and if you look at the back of the engine you could probably see the oil start to run onto the top of the transmission from the engine. Valve cover gasket is fairly cheap and easy to replace.

I had a really bad valve cover leak the the PO never fixed and after I replaced my gasket it took a couple months for the oil to stop dripping because all the residue that was still on the engine.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Looks like a valve cover gasket. There's a bunch of build up on the side of the engine and if you look at the back of the engine you could probably see the oil start to run onto the top of the transmission from the engine. Valve cover gasket is fairly cheap and easy to replace.

I had a really bad valve cover leak the the PO never fixed and after I replaced my gasket it took a couple months for the oil to stop dripping because all the residue that was still on the engine.
Thanks man, so there’s hope that it’s not the transmission then? This helps a lot cause I’m not really a handy guy but it’s never too late to learn.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Thanks man, so there’s hope that it’s not the transmission then? This helps a lot cause I’m not really a handy guy but it’s never too late to learn.
Well get a white paper towel and see what color the fluid is, from the picture it looks like normal oil and looks like what mine looked like.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Chances are it's either the rear main seal or the back of the valve cover gasket. Neither of those would cause your engine to make less power. Verify that the leak is engine oil first, or possibly something else. Clean off as much of it as you can with a degreaser then pay attention to where it's coming from when it returns.
Yeah I’m gonna clean it up, it’ll shake if I accelerate more than 40 mph so I haven’t moved it since

check the level/inspect the color of your transmission fluid

if your profile is accurate you may want to post any further questions in the JK forum