Leaking coolant

Mark_05TJ

I bought my 2005 TJ Rubicon about a month ago. It has around 188k on it. I noticed that the coolant in the reservoir was a little low. I replaced it. I also have smelt coolant while running the air or heater. Last week I noticed it was a little low again. I replaced it. I park on a concrete pad and haven't noticed any coolant on the ground. Yesterday I came out of work and saw a pool of coolant on the ground. I open the hood and the reservoir was still full but the radiator was a little lower than I've seen it. I drove home, open the hood and saw coolant pooling at the bottom of the radiator. Doesn't look good to me, I'm afraid it will cost me an arm and a leg or at least the money I was hoping to use to buy bumpers. Any suggestions or estimated cost?

Repair pal dot com is a useful tool I’ve started to use...

You say it’s pooling at the bottom of the radiator... where exactly?

It could be a nipple in the radiator itself or a hose. Both of which are semi easy fixes and not too bad of a DIY either.

Can you take a picture of where you see the coolant ? That would be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

You mentioned that you smelled coolant while running the air or heater. Pull up the passenger front carpet some and see if it's wet underneath on the floorboard.

i noticed a hint of coolant on the front of my radiator recently as well not enough to be pooling but want to get it fixed but it being the 2.4 its hard to find parts :(

@Mark_05TJ, it shouldn't cost you that much. A new Mopar radiator (the only one we recommend around here) can be had for not that much, check it out:

OE Mopar Radiator: 55037652AA (Manual Transmission)
OE Mopar Radiator: 55037653AC (Automatic Transmission)

As for you @natsuki harvey, hers the OE Mopar radiator for your 2.4:

OE Mopar Radiator: 55037652AA (Manual Transmission)
OE Mopar Radiator: 55037653AB (Automatic Transmission)

I also have smelt coolant while running the air or heater.
With 188k, you may want to back flush your Heater Core. I was smelling the same thing and my heat was shot, but I did this back flush and no more smell and my heat blazes hotter than i've ever felt it. Easy job too.

With 188k, you may want to back flush your Heater Core. I was smelling the same thing and my heat was shot, but I did this back flush and no more smell and my heat blazes hotter than i've ever felt it. Easy job too.
I should probably do this too. Heater not running as hot as it should.

I should probably do this too. Heater not running as hot as it should.
Oh man, do it before winter sets in. I just learned about this, watched a YouTube vid and I did it in about a half hour. Well worth it for anyone with high miles or if your heater just isn't as hot as it once was.

Oh man, do it before winter sets in. I just learned about this, watched a YouTube vid and I did it in about a half hour. Well worth it for anyone with high miles or if your heater just isn't as hot as it once was.
Thanks, I will. I don't have high milage but the heater should put out more heat. Going to rain today, so I'll do it Monday.

Hopefully you also installed a fresh 18 lb. radiator cap and 195 degree thermostat too. They are due replacement with your mileage. Stant would be good brands for both, Stant's SuperStat would be a superb choice of thermostat. Avoid any thermostats claiming to be "fail-safe", they're not and they generally just cause problems by tending to fail in the open position.

Reactions: Mark_05TJ