Leaking steering box

Need help. 04 TJ X 6 cyl auto. Help me find a replacement box and/or where can I send it to be rebuilt?

Just did my Sons XJ which is probably the same box and he picked up an AC Delco from Parts Geek for a fair price.

That was the easy part as we broke my new Pitman arm puller trying to remove it and had to make a tool run in The middle of the project.
The secret seems to be a constant tightning of the puller and smacking the arm with a hammer between turns on the puller. Eventually it popped off.

For the time being until you can replace it or have it rebuilt, try adding a little stop leak for power steering systems. I'm not normally a fan of Lucas but I would try adding small amount of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. CAUTION that the Lucas directions say to add the entire bottle but DO NOT DO THAT with your newer style power steering system.

Your system uses ATF+4 for its power steering fluid so the amount of Lucas Stop Leak you add is considerably less.

Per Lucas, for systems that use ATF+4, lower the level of the PS steering reservoir to between 'Full' and 'Add'. A turkey baster works well for that job. Then top it off with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and see how it does. Again, pay no attention to the directions of the bottle that say to add the entire bottle, that is only for power steering systems that use Power Steering Fluid, not ATF+4 as your power steering system uses.

And don't expect an instant stop to the leak, it could take a day or two for it to work... if it's going to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fingers
Reactions: Ivan Condori
Crockett, thanks for inquiring about a replacement steering box on this forum. I was about to ask the same question before logging on...except for the Saginaw box that's currently in my 02 TJ.

I have a few questions for our TJ guru:

1) Would you attempt using Lucas Stop Leak for the Saginaw box as well?
2) If the stop leak doesn't work, could you recommend a brand/parts store to purchase a reman? Looking to spend no more than $200.
3) If I went the reman route, would you further recommend the 98/99 Durango non-snow plow box versus the stock replacement?
4) If I attempted to obtain the Durango version, do you think Oreilly's/Rockauto/Napa, etc. have an issue taking my TJ's core? I would be upfront with them.

Just looking at my options.

Thanks for your help, Jerry (I'm a big fan)

The Saginaw steering box used on 2002 and older TJs uses power steering fluid which the Lucas is best with. You can use the entire bottle of Lucas as the directions indicate.

I'm not really comfortable making a steering box recommendation other than to make sure to avoid anything from Cardone. The maker of the aftermarket power steering box I installed years ago on my previous TJ is retired so I can't recommend him.

If you're just looking to get on the road again I'd probably pick out one of the mainstream brands on Rockauto or at NAPA and avoid the low end stores like Autozone. I hear/read plusses and minuses on the Durango so no opinions there.

Mrblaine aka Black Magic Brakes is the steering guru here. He would really know the answers and have far better recommendations and advice. Good luck with it.

I thought that I've read a Durango steering box is considered an upgrade?
I might be wrong, but I thought the Durango box only worked on the 03 and older. I hope I'm wrong, as our pick and pull has a few Durango's, and I'd grab one for my 05.

Gave up tried Autozone, Oreiley, Napa, Brittons (local), and the junkyard. Friend is getting it rebuilt for me he has a connection with the old Jeep / AMC dealer in Salem,MA.
Why the scarcity on this box? Is it some Daimler Chrysler Jeep Frankenstein? Thanks for all the help. After this 1" body lift any recommendations?

Redhead steering gears has what you need. Just saying...their sole purpose in life is steering gears.

I'm not a big fan of most rebuilt boxes so I avoid them. I've tried three rebuilt boxes from the chain stores and they all had play or failed prematurely. I'm 2 for 2 on durango boxes though and I got both on ebay.

I see Redhead steering was mentioned. I read about this company before but I'm confused on which box is for the TJ. They list 1972-2000 but aren't specific.

I might be wrong, but I thought the Durango box only worked on the 03 and older.
It's actually only the 2002 and older where the Durango steering boxes bolt right in. 2003 and newer models switched to the Mercedes steering system which has a slightly different mounting bolt pattern.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac
I'm not a big fan of most rebuilt boxes so I avoid them. I've tried three rebuilt boxes from the chain stores and they all had play or failed prematurely. I'm 2 for 2 on durango boxes though and I got both on ebay.

I see Redhead steering was mentioned. I read about this company before but I'm confused on which box is for the TJ. They list 1972-2000 but aren't specific.

Call them. Can't remember the model number, but they don't list on website. They have plenty in stock though.

Call them. Can't remember the model number, but they don't list on website. They have plenty in stock though.

Nice, thanks. My box is clunking when I turn it lightly left and right. It has 103k on it. It's next on my list.

The Saginaw steering box used on 2002 and older TJs uses power steering fluid which the Lucas is best with. You can use the entire bottle of Lucas as the directions indicate.

I'm not really comfortable making a steering box recommendation other than to make sure to avoid anything from Cardone. The maker of the aftermarket power steering box I installed years ago on my previous TJ is retired so I can't recommend him.

If you're just looking to get on the road again I'd probably pick out one of the mainstream brands on Rockauto or at NAPA and avoid the low end stores like Autozone. I hear/read plusses and minuses on the Durango so no opinions there.

Mrblaine aka Black Magic Brakes is the steering guru here. He would really know the answers and have far better recommendations and advice. Good luck with it.
Thanks for the advice on the Lucas! I added it last week and the leak has slowly vanished. You just saved me ~$150.