Leaking Transmission Pan

Ken G Ford

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble with a leaking Transmission Pan.
Ordered a Deep Sump Transmission Pan from Summit racing for my 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 with 32RH 3 speed auto transmission.

First installation was using the Rubber Gasket provided and torqued to 12ft pds...... leaked like crazy. Flattened the edge of the pan down smooth and added some Permatex RTV to the gasket and torqued to 12ft pounds star pattern ....still leaked. Tried the Permatex Right Stuff with no gasket after flattening the edge of the pan down and torqued to 12ft pds star pattern.... leaked like crazy. Ordered a FelPro Gasket and added a little Permatex Right stuff, flattended the edge of the pan down and torqued to 12ft pds star pattern.....FelPro gasket simply squished out the sides were the bolt passes thru......and leaked......complete garbage.

Ordered a LubeLocker Gasket and installed dry per instructions. Starting leaking after the 1st day.....
Really meticulously inspected the Transmission mating surface....perfectly smoothrked it flat for over an hour. I then inspected the Summit Pan and found two dimples an inch apart protruding towards the mating surface on the Summit Pan. Filed the dimples down and used a DA sander with 400 grit to flatten the Lip on the pan to find high and low spots. Worked the lip flat with a body hammer and body dowels and used a trait edge ruler and wo...... Added a small amount of Permatex ATF Gasket maker to the Lube Locker (Re-Usable) gasket since it no longer looked new and torqued to 7ft pounds.....waited 1 hour and then torqued to 10 ft pds..... and then onto 13 ft pounds. Let it sit over night without ATF inside.

This morning, filled with ATF and after a short 30 min drive......seeing seepage again at the back flange lip......... AGH!!!!!!

At this point I am going to order another NEW LubeLocker Gasket and a NEW Deep Sump Transmission pan but wanting an Aluminum one with a flat machined mating surface.

Anyone have a PN# for cast Aluminum Deep Pan that I can order? at this point I really have zero faith in the stamped metal ones from Summit Racing......

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble with a leaking Transmission Pan.
Ordered a Deep Sump Transmission Pan from Summit racing for my 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 with 32RH 3 speed auto transmission.

First installation was using the Rubber Gasket provided and torqued to 12ft pds...... leaked like crazy. Flattened the edge of the pan down smooth and added some Permatex RTV to the gasket and torqued to 12ft pounds star pattern ....still leaked. Tried the Permatex Right Stuff with no gasket after flattening the edge of the pan down and torqued to 12ft pds star pattern.... leaked like crazy. Ordered a FelPro Gasket and added a little Permatex Right stuff, flattended the edge of the pan down and torqued to 12ft pds star pattern.....FelPro gasket simply squished out the sides were the bolt passes thru......and leaked......complete garbage.

Ordered a LubeLocker Gasket and installed dry per instructions. Starting leaking after the 1st day.....
Really meticulously inspected the Transmission mating surface....perfectly smoothrked it flat for over an hour. I then inspected the Summit Pan and found two dimples an inch apart protruding towards the mating surface on the Summit Pan. Filed the dimples down and used a DA sander with 400 grit to flatten the Lip on the pan to find high and low spots. Worked the lip flat with a body hammer and body dowels and used a trait edge ruler and wo...... Added a small amount of Permatex ATF Gasket maker to the Lube Locker (Re-Usable) gasket since it no longer looked new and torqued to 7ft pounds.....waited 1 hour and then torqued to 10 ft pds..... and then onto 13 ft pounds. Let it sit over night without ATF inside.

This morning, filled with ATF and after a short 30 min drive......seeing seepage again at the back flange lip......... AGH!!!!!!

At this point I am going to order another NEW LubeLocker Gasket and a NEW Deep Sump Transmission pan but wanting an Aluminum one with a flat machined mating surface.

Anyone have a PN# for cast Aluminum Deep Pan that I can order? at this point I really have zero faith in the stamped metal ones from Summit Racing......
Just get the mopar deep pan kit,P4007886AC it give you the longer bolts and gasket work great,

6E870DF5-1431-4DF4-94BA-C0FCC2F7BD4A.png

Last edited:
Thanks, that is the exact one I bought through Summit. After seeing it leaking the 1st time I installed it a removed it and found the hard plastic Gasket cracked..... then went to a new rubber gasket.

In any case think I may have found the real issue...... It may actually be leaking from the neutral selector switch on the side of the transmission above the pan towards the back. Sounds like when it leaks, it runs down the side of the tranny and then collects at the back lip of the pan and ends up looking like the pan is leaking..... ordered new switch from Amazon and will update again it this resolves the original leak.

Thanks, that is the exact one I bought through Summit. After seeing it leaking the 1st time I installed it a removed it and found the hard plastic Gasket cracked..... then went to a new rubber gasket.

In any case think I may have found the real issue...... It may actually be leaking from the neutral selector switch on the side of the transmission above the pan towards the back. Sounds like when it leaks, it runs down the side of the tranny and then collects at the back lip of the pan and ends up looking like the pan is leaking..... ordered new switch from Amazon and will update again it this resolves the original leak.
Yes mine never leaked ,do yourself a favor and weld a bung in the right front for a gauge

has anyone used these before? any feedback?

Lubelocker LLT-A999 "Reusable" Transmission Pan Gasket for 87-02 Jeep Wrangler YJ & TJ with 3 Speed Automatic​

has anyone used these before? any feedback?

Lubelocker LLT-A999 "Reusable" Transmission Pan Gasket for 87-02 Jeep Wrangler YJ & TJ with 3 Speed Automatic​

Not on the 3 speed, but I've used one on my 42RLE version for a few years with no problems.