Leaking under hood, possibly AC? 06 TJ

stevenmcgurk222

I dont know parts of cars. I do know that my car has been to the shop twice in the last three days. When I got back from the shop today, I heard a sizzle occurring every 5-6 seconds. In photo, the yellow box is dripping onto the black (green oval) box. You can see there is some water dripping down the black casing of the green oval. Mind you, its pretty hot out today / in general, but I haven't heard the "sizzle" before. Please let me know what this is (if anything at all). Getting tired of going back and forth!
Thanks in advance.
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 9.08.38 PM.png

Your yellow box is the lines for the A/C which means its full of R134a freon. The only place that it could theoretically leak from in that box is the service port which is unlikely since it's a hard line there unless it's got a small crack. The other black bits look like supports. The green circle is your valve cover and PCV valve.

Were you running your air conditioner at the time? Is the liquid colorless? If so, it’s probably just condensation dripping from the suction line (larger diameter line in your picture). High humidity will create more condensate.

I mean its definitely dripping a noticeable amount. Here are photos of under my hood. Would this happen on a normal hot day? How could I assess to see if its freon

IMG_1266.jpg
IMG_1265.jpg

Were you running your air conditioner at the time? Is the liquid colorless? If so, it’s probably just condensation dripping from the suction line (larger diameter line in your picture). High humidity will create more condensate.

would freon be colorless too?

Start your engine and run the A/C on high with the hood open. See if the suction line begins to accumulate condensation and a drip.

Reactions: Bill M. and Zorba