Leaky doors - what's the threshold before I should do something?

jblues1969

When it rains, I end up with about a 1/2 oz of water in the front Weathertech floor mats. (note: Best Xmas gift this year!!!)

I'm in NC where it rarely rains gently.

Water is definitely getting into the seals at the top and coming out at the bottom right at the door entry guards where it collects in the floor mats.

Seals seem to be in decent shape. No holes that I can find.

Is a totally dry floor a reasonable expectation or should I just roll with it and worry about more important things?

It is entirely reasonable to expect a dry floor. Something is not right.

Are you running a hard or soft top? Factory or aftermarket?

Sounds like a fitment issue at the top corner at the windshield or the door in that location. Hopefully someone with that top will chime in.

Have you made a attempt to identify where the water is coming in? Sit inside and have a helper run a hose over that area. That should help you identify the problem.

IF it is coming in through the door seals, you can loosen the 2 torx bolts that attach the door striker to the tub on the inside of the door jam and push it in a little bit. This will pull the door in tighter on the seals and might help with your problem.

But as NashvilleTJ said, I would start with the garden hose test first. That will show you exactly where the water is coming in.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I think I just found the problem. Both door seals have splits at the top. Driver side split is 8 inches long, passenger side is 3 inches.

Now the question is can I repair them with some sort of glue, or should I replace them both?

Replaced. This might be the easiest thing I've done on this jeep. As long as you locate the square edge on the new seal, the top 1/2 pops into the channel really easily and the barb rivets pop in really easily as well.

I've opted to not rebalance the door hinge/striker in the hope that the seals will shortly "Get used" to being squished. I'll just slam the doors in the meantime.